[SOLVED] Expected wear level on laptop battery

dimmel

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Hi!

I own a Lenovo ThinkPad e580 which is rarely used. I charge it once a month. Recently I discovered that I should not charge it to full frequent in order to reduce battery wear. Laptop is 10 months old. I used to fully charge it, work and then charge it back at 10-20% capacity. Furthermore, I stored it with 20% battery capacity for 15 days. Today's readings are 22 charging cycles and 5% wear level. Are these values normal? Is it a way to reduce battery wear (maybe a false reading)? And finally, how can I leave the wear level at this level?

Here is the windows battery report
https://we.tl/t-wStPbt9kQL

Last edited:
Solution
Set the battery options to "max battery life", use the battery till it fails. Batteries normally have a one year warranty on them. Expected life expectancy without noticeable drop in use is 3 years, after that you are likely to be at like 75% of new charge levels. If the battery is not faulty. I have seen a ton of new laptops with batteries that fully died less than a year in.

Checking on the battery they way you are doing is just needless worry and waste of time. Is the battery working and pretty much in line with what the tests for that model say? If yes, good. If not, but time is still decent in 2-3 hours of constant use, still good. If it shuts off in an hour, then you need to worry about it.

Good idea to use the laptop a...
Where is the wear readout originating? These questions have come up over the years, with no definitive solid answer. You'd need identical laptops and discharge/charge cycle them opposite ways to see if there's a big difference. 1000 charge cycles was what I've read awhile back, though not 100%. Most likely, you'd have another laptop before battery is shot. If not, many batteries can be replaced with aftermarket.

dimmel

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Where is the wear readout originating? These questions have come up over the years, with no definitive solid answer. You'd need identical laptops and discharge/charge cycle them opposite ways to see if there's a big difference. 1000 charge cycles was what I've read awhile back, though not 100%. Most likely, you'd have another laptop before battery is shot. If not, many batteries can be replaced with aftermarket.

Thease readouts originate from Lenovo Vantage app, windows battery stats, HWinfo and BatteryInfoView. The are all the same

Here is the windows battery report
https://we.tl/t-wStPbt9kQL

Depends on usage, heat, ect. Not really a direct comparison between the two. I wouldn't be to concerned so much with the readout, so much as how fast does the battery % drain doing same tasks repeatedly. Does the percentage just drop off after a certain point, like 20% to 5% almost instantly. Those kinds of things.

dimmel

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Depends on usage, heat, ect. Not really a direct comparison between the two. I wouldn't be to concerned so much with the readout, so much as how fast does the battery % drain doing same tasks repeatedly. Does the percentage just drop off after a certain point, like 20% to 5% almost instantly. Those kinds of things.

Ok I see. However, in the past I saw the wear level coming up and down. So there is a possiblity that it will drop again.

Yes, it will change over time. I can't say for sure how the software adjusts or how accurate it truly is. Truthfully, I don't think I'd worry to much about it, and enjoy the laptop. Your current charge/discharge method seems average, but I'm doubtful even changing things will have a lot of impact in overall life.

Just a software readout. I'm doubtful any are truly accurate to the point of knowing when failure would occur. I think you are overreacting a bit over a likely non-issue. Since it's still in warranty and your concerned, you have the option of contacting the manufacturer.

dimmel

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
I return to my previous question, what wear level should I expect with occasional use and not deep circle charges (between 60-65%)? Almost a year old battery

dimmel

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Not sure on software, but general use should still be several years of use until charges become frequent and battery drains quickly. Software is only an estimate. I never bother to check on my own laptop. Smartphones either for that matter.

After two months and 2 full circles of using, the wear level jumped from 5% to 8.5%. Temperature is ok (25%). Should I use the battery more often, should I charge it completely to 100%? What should I do?

Here is the battery wear report from windows https://we.tl/t-yCu9E2Pi0k

Last edited:

dimmel

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
It's not good to leave plugged in all the time. Better to drain and charge cycle. Again, software is estimating, but not actual. There is still debate on battery level percentages on how full or low of charge is best for battery health.

I see, but every time I open the laptop, I see increased battery wear level. If this continues, the battery will be off in about 6 months. I hope it will be stabilized somehow. Today, after 1 more circle, the battery wear is 9%...

dimmel

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
I will have a loot at it and check if the wear level stays steady. Thank's again for the advice.

It will be the test of time. I'm not sure if you can do anything about it. Think it's really not a big deal. Should enjoy the laptop as is. Most folks don't take any consideration to battery health.

dimmel

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
After a month, the battery wear level dropped to 6% and then gradually increased again to 9%. I noticed that, the battery wear level increases when the remaining charge of the battery decreases. As soon as I reach a new full circle (through small charges), the readout will show more correct value. Am I right?

Set the battery options to "max battery life", use the battery till it fails. Batteries normally have a one year warranty on them. Expected life expectancy without noticeable drop in use is 3 years, after that you are likely to be at like 75% of new charge levels. If the battery is not faulty. I have seen a ton of new laptops with batteries that fully died less than a year in.

Checking on the battery they way you are doing is just needless worry and waste of time. Is the battery working and pretty much in line with what the tests for that model say? If yes, good. If not, but time is still decent in 2-3 hours of constant use, still good. If it shuts off in an hour, then you need to worry about it.

Good idea to use the laptop a few times a month to keep the battery running properly, having the system sit there for a long time can kill the battery. I've had quite a few "new" batteries that were not used for a few years be dead when first tried.

Solution