Expensive MiniDV VTR?

With the CD & DVD recorders being more accessible and cheaper, why are
the "Mini DV VTR/VCR" still so expensive?.....thank you for your
time....tony amateur radio wa9yoz

"Amigaman" wrote ...
> With the CD & DVD recorders being more accessible
> and cheaper, why are the "Mini DV VTR/VCR" still
> so expensive?

VCRs are far more complex mechanically than optical drives.
CD/DVD have better consumer market potential and thus higher
potential market volume to write off develoment costs against.

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 10:34:46 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>"Amigaman" wrote ...
>> With the CD & DVD recorders being more accessible
>> and cheaper, why are the "Mini DV VTR/VCR" still
>> so expensive?
>
>VCRs are far more complex mechanically than optical drives.
>CD/DVD have better consumer market potential and thus higher
>potential market volume to write off develoment costs against.

Also, mass production is another factor. CD and DVD mechanisms are
made in huge numbers, and the same components are used in a wide range
of products (home audio players, computer drives, even portables and
car players, all are often almost interchangeable, sometimes
*entirely* so except for the external hookups).

The only thing that MiniDV tape mechanisms are used in which is
produced in large numbers is camcorders -- and there just aren't that
many made. Not compared to VHS VCRs and CD/DVD devices.

But also, the fact that the mechanism way more complex and fragile,
it must deal with a harder environment than most optical drives
(camcorders), must be compact, lightweight, and low in power
consumption (same deal), all makes it hard to make the actual
mechanics a lot cheaper.

If consumer MiniDV VCRs took off as a user item, it could cut the
price. But I don't think that will happen -- DVDs are the rage, no
one is likely to buy a digital VCR except for editing. That limits
the market and pushes up the demand for feature (and thus cost as
well).