Question Expensive New Gaming Laptop Liquid Damage (MSI GS65 RTX)

Jan 11, 2020
Hi all,

I recently returned my liquid damaged laptop to the manufacturer as there was a very small amount of liquid which which was spilt .

Initially when I returned the laptop the manufacturer quoted replacement for all components from motherboard, ram, ssd, battery, keyboard, screen etc which was essentially the whole laptop.

Shortly after I asked them surely there must be some components which work they said they would check, however, the keyboard and motherboard are 100% dead. Later they said the battery and ssd appears to be working, however, I am skeptical that they even checked the keyboard and motherboard given that they immediately quoted the whole laptop to be replaced. I know it is pretty safe to “assume” the keyboard and motherboard is dead when there is liquid.

So what happened is that I spilt a small bit of liquid and at the time I didn’t think any go into the laptop as I use a keyboard cover. An hour later my laptop blue screened with memory management and shut down. When I turned on the laptop after the blue screen the laptop does turn on but the screen is completely black (fans and battery lights plus caps lock light up)

I have attached a photo of where the liquid spilt onto the motherboard and it appears most fell on the ram Dimms.

Do you think there is any chance the motherboard may still work and damage may be done to only the ram, however, the manufacturer did not check to see if there motherboard is 100% dead and they are assuming?

I am wondering if it is worthwhile taking the laptop to a independent repairer to clean up the spill and maybe test to see if replacing the ram does the trick.

I know it is a low probability, however, the laptop $3k aud (2k usd) and based on the quotation they provided me with to repair the laptop I don’t think it would be worth repairing it.

Would you guys suggest taking the laptop elsewhere to see if the motherboard still works?

Based on the communication I feel the manufacturer just opened and saw the liquid and just closed it up and recommended full replacement without seeing if it could be fixed.

Do you think cleaning up the area and installing new ram there could be a remote chance that the motherboard may be ok or like the manufacturer stated it is 100% dead.

I would believe the manufacturer has checked this if they had told me from the start that the laptop battery, screen, ssd still work, however, they initially said it was all broken then shortly later said keyboard and motherboard are 100% dead.

Picture of liquid area View: https://imgur.com/a/kNV5dww

Thanks in advance!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Did you clean it up before giving it to them? If there's sticky residue all over the parts, it's hard to expect them to clean them up for testing.

If it's not worth repairing otherwise, you probably don't lose anything by having a local shop check it out. I wouldn't be too optimistic; laptops and liquid don't mix.

Jan 11, 2020
Did you clean it up before giving it to them? If there's sticky residue all over the parts, it's hard to expect them to clean them up for testing.

If it's not worth repairing otherwise, you probably don't lose anything by having a local shop check it out. I wouldn't be too optimistic; laptops and liquid don't mix.
Thanks for the reply. No I didn't clean it before sending it in as this particular laptop motherboard is reversed and I do not have the skills to take it a part.

As far as chances or this or that being broken, yes there is a chance for any part there to be bad or good. Without having the system to look at and try different components there is really no way to tell. Our guess is as good as yours as to what the least amount of work it would take to fix.

TRENDING THREADS