Question Expensive vs cheap SSD

procc99

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
Hi

I'm trying to find real world tests of "expensive vs cheap ssd", but I can't find many of them, and they are very incomprehensive...
Maybe some one has any links of some good tests?
I want to find out is it really almost no difference expensive vs cheap ssd in real world usage.

D

Deleted member 14196

Of course there is a difference there is an absolute huge difference between a good SSD and a cheap SSD. A good SSD will last it’s entire lifetime giving you maximum performance over all kinds of scenarios where is cheap SSDs will not perform nearly as well especially under sustained write scenarios. The question is rather what kind of performance are you willing to live with? Also cheap SSDs will fail more commonly then a good Samsung or micron SSD. Plus Samsung in micron are not that expensive compared to the crappy ones.

As with everything in life quality matters and you can tell yourself that price doesn’t matter but you’re fooling yourself don’t do that be realistic

Every day I see many posts on this very forum about some poor soul who is bought a cheap SSD and now it’s failed or it’s a performance is really bad. Don’t do that to yourself

Reactions: ElectrO_90

procc99

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
I'm thinking about average users, what kind of ssd's would be best for them.
Some youtubers did tests with game loading times, with windows loading and etc, and there is almost no noticeable difference "cheap vs expensive", but like I said those test are not very comprehensive.
For example I wonder, how would those ssd's perform with 80-90% of used space, or after year or two of usage. But I can't find anyone who did such tests.

p.s. in ~10 years, practically, I saw only one failed ssd, and if I remember it correctly it was OCZ.

I'm thinking about average users, what kind of ssd's would be best for them.
Some youtubers did tests with game loading times, with windows loading and etc, and there is almost no noticeable difference "cheap vs expensive", but like I said those test are not very comprehensive.
For example I wonder, how would those ssd's perform with 80-90% of used space, or after year or two of usage. But I can't find anyone who did such tests.

p.s. in ~10 years, practically, I saw only one failed ssd, and if I remember it correctly it was OCZ.

Why don't you then, do this for the public.
Buy your cheap and good SSD, fill it up to 80-90% perform the tests and get back to us all.

D

Deleted member 14196

cheap SSDs will fail faster and I don’t know about you but when I turn on my system I want to use it for something like playing a game or working. Reliable is what I need.

Plus what you’re calling expensive isn’t really expensive at all. the cheap ones are just cheaper than the good ones and there’s a reason for that.

the electronics on them are not as good—the performance is not as good and they won’t last as long.

Now if you want to go get one fine but beware of those things

I recommend Crucial and Samsung.

procc99

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
Why don't you then, do this for the public.
Buy your cheap and good SSD, fill it up to 80-90% perform the tests and get back to us all.
Well if I had such ssd's I would've done tests already. I don't have money I can burn, only for tests.
But I wonder why large computer labs not doing these tests? Or maybe they did them, but it's very hard to find? And maybe there is a reason for it?

TRENDING THREADS