Expericence Windows 10 x64 with 1GB of RAM

TheEveryDayGuy

Reputable
May 10, 2014
Oh, This thread is not a question. I created because i think running Windows 10 64bit with only 1GB of ram is quite fascinating.

-Few days ago, my 4gb ddr3 memory module is busted. So i need a replacement. The stick need few days to get to my place so in the meantime, I used a 1GB ddr2 module to keep my machine running, since i only have that one lying around. First time running it with Windows 10,boot time was not changed, but every program I launched took more time (5-10 sec). Task manager showed that I was using 95% of RAM all the time , when idling. Until the second time I got into Windows. I was surprised, Task manager reported that I was only using about 50% of RAM. I played WinAmp and Steam + Sven-coop at the same time without any problem. Few tabs of Firefox and IE also didn't hurt it. It's funny because the minimum requirement for windows 10 x64 is 2gb of RAM.

Solution
makes sense,there are one or two ddr3/4 boards now

http://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/anton-shilov/asrock-unveils-mainboard-for-skylake-cpus-with-ddr3-and-dd4-memory-slots/

Colif

Win 11 Master
Silightly curious if turning fast boot off would make any difference with 1gb of ram. I wouldn't expect 1gb of ddr2 to make a major difference at boot time.

Mums pc works fine on 3gb on win 10 64bit Not sure where sweet spot is for ram, somewhere between 6 and 8 I suspect. I went way overboard

inerax

Distinguished
ummm.... how did you use DDR2 in a DDR3 slot?

DDR3
240-pin DIMM (same size as DDR2 but are electrically incompatible with DDR2 DIMMs and have a different key notch location).

http://www.buildcomputers.net/images/xddr2-vs-ddr3.jpg.pagespeed.ic.qZVlGPot3n.jpg

I think you would be using a 1gb DDR3 stick of ram. Even though its not DDR2, I am shocked that Windows 10 runs as well as you have stated with only 1 GB of ram. Thanks for the wright up.

inerax

Distinguished

Oh crap. Right when I read this I remembered seeing that. And I remember thinking WTF, WHY would anyone need this? this was back in the day when DDR3 was rather new.

OP does your board have both DDR2 and DDR3 slots? Interesting if windows 10 is running fine on 1gb DDR2.

TheEveryDayGuy

Reputable
May 10, 2014

Hmm, I think you don't know about DDR2-3 combo motherboard, They mostly manufactured back in 2008-2010

inerax

Distinguished

Just posted about it. I remember that from that time frame :)... Makes more sense how he is using DDR2 now instead of DDR3