[SOLVED] Experience unknown lags in the Witcher 3! Is my HDD guilty of? How to shake it off? Please help

KalashnjukUA

Honorable
Feb 9, 2016
Hi there!
You see, just after the game is launched, when riding by horse through one village or walking on my own, wherever it might be, White Orchard, Novigrad or others, I always experience significant lags, meanwhile I can see that the indicator on my case showing my HDD load is always red. When the game installed on SSD, then it runs smoothly enough.
Here is my config:
Case: Zalman z3 plus White
CPU: i7-4790 (4 GHz, 1.064v)
RAM: HyperX DDR3-1600 16384MB (Kit of 2x8192)
HDD: WD 1TB BLUE
SSD: TEAM L5 Lite 120gb
GPU: ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI
MB: MSI B85-G43
Monitor: BENQ GW2760HS

I've come to believe that after having played around 10 minutes, the game begins to run a bit more smoothly, however some unpredictable lags still can be caught. It's definitely because my HDD tries to load everything and is supposed to be always loaded, but I don't think anyone else experiences some kind of problem in the game as I do. Is it because of my HDD?
Its smart life is nice, no problem at all.
Thank you guys all in advance!

There are a lot of problems with this game.
In your place I would start with trying this 2. Fix freezing on dual-core CPUs although you have 4 cores but this problem starts because the witcher runs 4threads at a high priority so it could affect you as well.

KalashnjukUA

Honorable
Feb 9, 2016
In your place I would start with trying this 2. Fix freezing on dual-core CPUs although you have 4 cores but this problem starts because the witcher runs 4threads at a high priority so it could affect you as well.
Hmmm, gotta give it a try. You know, in the game I can see that 8 threads are being loaded, via Rivatuner.

KalashnjukUA

Honorable
Feb 9, 2016
Tried it, it didn't work(

KalashnjukUA

Honorable
Feb 9, 2016
Can you see in task manager how much the HDD is utilized when the game is running? Might be somethign else hitting it.
Nah, nothing else really
When I enter it for the first time, especially when I am located in a village, my HDD is loaded 100% for 4-5 seconds, then the load goes down. Don't you guys experience the same?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Looks like your drive is running fine.

You have a lot of background CPU and RAM usage, that could be why as its having to hit the drive a lot more when the ram is full. Check whats using up all your ram and cpu. Might be worth doing a clean windows install if you have rogue programs.

KalashnjukUA

Honorable
Feb 9, 2016
Looks like your drive is running fine.

You have a lot of background CPU and RAM usage, that could be why as its having to hit the drive a lot more when the ram is full. Check whats using up all your ram and cpu. Might be worth doing a clean windows install if you have rogue programs.
Hm, there is no CPU usage at idle. Task manager says it is 0% of both CPU and HDD usage.
Actually, the CPU is loaded not more than 50% in game, hence I don't find it to cause the problem.
Maybe the game may run smoothly only on SSD?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Hm, there is no CPU usage at idle. Task manager says it is 0% of both CPU and HDD usage.
Actually, the CPU is loaded not more than 50% in game, hence I don't find it to cause the problem.
Maybe the game may run smoothly only on SSD?

what about your RAM? The userbenchmark said you have high background cpu and about 14gb of ram consumed. Thats a lot for an idle pc. The less RAM you have available the more it has to access the HDD or SSD.

May be worth just buying a bigger SSD, they are so much cheaper now.

KalashnjukUA

Honorable
Feb 9, 2016
what about your RAM? The userbenchmark said you have high background cpu and about 14gb of ram consumed. Thats a lot for an idle pc. The less RAM you have available the more it has to access the HDD or SSD.

May be worth just buying a bigger SSD, they are so much cheaper now.
Free, not consumed :

14 GB free of 16 GB @ 1.6 GHz
Isn't it?