Experience and gaming PC <$1000

galneryus

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Experience and gaming PC <$1000

When: Buying within a week or two.
Budget: Preferebly under $1100. Ideally $900.
Usage: I'm a heavy multi tasker, I don't like to close programs =). I would
rank, movies, gaming(Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty 5, STARCRAFT 2[main reason why I'm building]), surfing, downloading, creating videos, music.
Parts not required: Speakers, mouse, OS (64bit Vista)
Parts Pref: None, as long as they all work in unity!
Overclock: I prefer to overclock everything.
Monitor Res: I would like 1920x1200, but anything above 1440x900 would be fine.
Additional comments: Pretty much quiet and reliable.

History from me: I would say I'm reasonable tech guy. I know software WAY more than hardware, but this is still my first PC and I'm building it for gaming and experience. I don't like closing programs that much, fairly heavy multi tasker (thanks to work), and just want a pretty tough computer that won't be ancient within the next year and a half (if that's possible). My price is flexible but with the economy and my bills I would like to have it already $950 so saving me money will be appreciated. By the way this computer was chosen by me, but completely unsure what I'm missing or if it will work together, please bare with me.

The build:
CPU: Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
Here

Motherboard: GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Here

Ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Here

Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100258-1GL Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
Here

Primary HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Here

Boot HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Here

Case: RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply
Here

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Here

Monitor: ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 12000 : 1) Built in Speakers
Here

DVD Drive: LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM
Here

Wireless: Will need wireless card, don't know how to select these will edit for the future.

Notes:2 Hard drives. 1 will house the operating system and whatever else I need. Other will house the games, movies, etc.

galneryus

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009

I would like to play Left 4 Dead until it comes out. It's a really fun game to kill time until SC2.

tapher

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
If you'll be overclocking the E5200, folks in reviewing and discussing the recent "system builder marathon" gaming rigs under $800 have concensed on the upgrading of the processor for energy consumption concerns. In other words, starting your overclock from a pricier processor will get you to an equally high power point at a lower total power consumption, meaning a savings over the lifetime of the system.

I've tried to find this discussion myself again, but have difficulty navigating the nebulous nature of tomshardware.com, so I can't point you to a specific page. And hell, if I do find it, I probably won't be able to find my way back to this thread, either!

I don't understand sites that don't have their **** easily navigable via chronological listing, etc etc.

So I say go for the more efficient processor.

Also, the advice about waiting for the Starcraft 2 release is sound. You may gain very important data that could allow you to more efficiently spend your dollars for bang in the game.

galneryus

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Thanks for the response, I just bought the parts. I switched around money to make it more efficient and cost effective. If anyone cares, I'll let you know how it goes.