[SOLVED] Experience with front mounted AIO cooler

Nov 2, 2020
I’m building a workstation that will be mostly used for 3D-CAD modelling and rendering. My current setup is:
CPU - AMD RYZEN 9 3900X
GPU - MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER VENTUS GP OC
Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (Wi-Fi)
RAM - Corsair 32GB KIT DDR4 3000MHz CL15 Vengeance LPX
Main drive - Samsung 970 EVO 500GB (for OS, SW and current project)
HDD - Seagate IronWolf 2TB (for old projects and other data)
CPU cooler - ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280
PSU - Corsair TX750M
Case - Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Additional case fan - Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-14 PWM

I've found out that the AIO cooler doesn't fit at the top of the case (not enough room) so I'm forced to put it at the front. And now I'm wondering if the cooling will be enough as the workstation will be under heavy load for extended periods of time.

Cooling setup (picture LINK):
Firstly, Fractal Define R6 case offers two basic layouts and in this build the open layout will be used (no need for so many drives, more free space = better cooling).
Air-inflow:
  • AIO cooler at the front (2x140mm fans)
  • additional 140mm fan at the bottom (the same as other's case fans)
Exhaust:
  • 2x140mm case' fans at the top (that will be removed from the front, will be using a splitter to connect to PWM hub)
  • 1x140mm case' fan at the rear of the case
  • PSU 1x120mm cooler
Anybody with similar cooling setup / experience? Will it be OK from the point of cooling?

Last edited:
Solution
Typically, installing an AIO in the front of the case (as intake) results in slightly cooler CPU temperatures than if installed on the top of the case (as exhaust). The downside of doing this is (maybe) slightly higher GPU temperatures. I have my AIO (Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 installed in the front of my case and its working just fine. I have 2 140mm fans exhausting at the top of my case, and one in the back of the case.
Typically, installing an AIO in the front of the case (as intake) results in slightly cooler CPU temperatures than if installed on the top of the case (as exhaust). The downside of doing this is (maybe) slightly higher GPU temperatures. I have my AIO (Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 installed in the front of my case and its working just fine. I have 2 140mm fans exhausting at the top of my case, and one in the back of the case.

Last edited:
Solution