Question Experienced odd right-click freezing with new SSDs ?

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
Hi everyone,

To start off I don't appear to be experiencing any problems with the SSDs anymore. Almost as if they fixed themselves. But I'd like to explain what happened to see if anyone else experienced this or if perhaps I should be cautious.

To try and make this short, I bought two new SSDs (2TB Mx500 and 1TB WD Blue).

I installed them wrong initially (I forgot to plug in the black SATA power looking cable into the PSU connectors that go into the SSD). After correcting that I see the SSDs in BIOS and now in Disk Management. Initialised them using GBT and then allocated simple volume and left everything as standard. Great, I'm able to get into both drives now (by double clicking it).

Here's the weird thing that happened I right click any of my drives the explorer window freezes and I have to force it to close which reloads the desktop. I have absolutely no idea why this would happen. I try it a few more times and same thing happens. I restart. same thing again.

So then I take about 2GB of data and transfer it into both new SSDs and then transfer it out, no issues. Now that the SSDs have data I try right clicking my drives and bam no more freezing on any drive I right click. Super weird. So I delete the data in both new SSDs try right click, still good. I reset computer new ssds are still empty right clicked still good.

So, I'm really confused as to why initially the right click would freeze my explorer window especially when I would try to right click on any drive.

Anyone else experience this? Should I be concerned ?

Here's my setup:

CPU: 4790k
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F9, 2015-09-18
SMBIOS: 2.7
BIOS Mode: Legacy
16gb RAM
Storage:

900w PSU (unfortunately not modular and it hurts my soul)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS