Question I'm an experienced PC builder but PC has failed diagnostics at 3 PC shops ?

Apr 2, 2023
Ight im at my witts end and looking to y'all for help:
Myself a 20 year experienced builder and 3 local shops still cannot figure it out.

Sudden _Watchdog error crashed PC.
Attempted to reboot into windows, the dots kept freezing
Attempted to boot from bootable device - Same
BIOS Wiped SSD
Went to reinstall widows, Kept Freezing
Flashed Bios - Kept Freezing on reinstall of windows
Pulled M.2, RAM, GPU and tested all in another machine, all function fine.
Suspected either MB or CPU
Replaced MB - Same issue
Ran CPU BIOS test with PassMark - Passed on all cores 100% health and function
Flashed bios on new MB
(dont have another PC with an A4 socket or else id pull the CPU too)
STILL FREEZING ON WINDOWS INSTALL!!!!

Specs:
B-550-F Gaming Wifi II MB
16gb Corsair Vengence Ram x2 slotted in B1 and A1 @ 3200
Ryzen 9 5900x
Nvidia Zotac 3080
BIOS is up to date 3002 version
Samsung 980 evo 1tb m.2

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023
Try a new USB drive for install.

RAM in slots a2-b2.

Sorry should have added:

Wiped CMOS
Tried RAM Slot combos A1 B1, A1 B2, A2 B1, A2 B2,

In addition have tried single stick in all 4 slots
Also tried single stick with a different manufacturer and speed in all 4 slots
Also 3 USB sticks have failed with W11 and W10 attempting to install either one.

Apr 2, 2023
Update: PassMark has now pushed my CPU and RAM 3 times and still showing 0 errors and fully functional....
So PC has no issue remaining on and running for extended periods of time...
But somehow is failing on the installation of any Windows OS...
Once this passtest ends, I will be attempting to install Linux and see how that goes.

Apr 2, 2023
3rd Passmark passed as 100%, media created new version of W10 for <removed> and giggles on a new formated USB stick...

FAILED at launch, spinning dots froze,

Loading up Linux in AM to try...

Apr 2, 2023
Think this all comes back to a bios issue....

Looking back on it all bootable devices were made from legacy machines and running on a UEFI machine...

At some point tomorrow will try and running with bios in Legacy Mode for uniformity.

Update: couldnt sleep....attempted running both linux and windows 10 in legacy....

Linux almost completed installing before freezing

Got W10 to 45% of copying files before freezing on install screen....

Really not sure where to go from here...

Is it possible this is all a hard drive issue even though it didnt fail in the other PC and in BIOS health check?

Im really stumped because it seems like a MOBO or RAM issue but they are all passing and have been replaced....

No Idea where to go from here short of changing parts out 1 at a time...

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023
Last ditch effort....ordered a PSU...didnt even think it could be associated but...its the only thing remaining...

Just ordered a replacement 850 gold cert EVGA, my current is under Warranty but too impatient for RMA...if all goes well ill have a EVGA 850 GA to sell when the RMA gets in lol...

Assuming you've checked RAM consistency using Memtest.

Have you tried to remove the SSD and insert some other storage (even a spin drive will do for the sake of testing) to see if there is a problem with the evo ?

edit: Since you've alredy mention you tried Linux, when booted into a Linux Live desktop, most dostros nowdays have the little piece of software called Gnome Disks - often just called "Disks" in app menus. This tool is capable of reading the s.m.a.r.t. values out from most ssd's and disks of today and can be useful in order to track down potential problems with internal storage devices.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023
Assuming you've checked RAM consistency using Memtest.

Have you tried to remove the SSD and insert some other storage (even a spin drive will do for the sake of testing) to see if there is a problem with the evo ?

edit: Since you've alredy mention you tried Linux, when booted into a Linux Live desktop, most dostros nowdays have the little piece of software called Gnome Disks - often just called "Disks" in app menus. This tool is capable of reading the s.m.a.r.t. values out from most ssd's and disks of today and can be useful in order to track down potential problems with internal storage devices.
I did check RAM consistancy using memtest, ran a total of 4x4 tests with 0 errors over the 16 total tests.

I will see if I can run Gnome Disks now, thanks for the advice. I havent used Linux in years and only was trying to test with it. Lets see what happens,

Edit: I do not have any other storage devices besides m.2 available at the moment, I will have to run out tomorrow and grab one, was thinking of grabbing a HDD just to try it but didnt make it back to the store in time.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023
I did check RAM consistancy using memtest, ran a total of 4x4 tests with 0 errors over the 16 total tests.

I will see if I can run Gnome Disks now, thanks for the advice. I havent used Linux in years and only was trying to test with it. Lets see what happens,

Edit: I do not have any other storage devices besides m.2 available at the moment, I will have to run out tomorrow and grab one, was thinking of grabbing a HDD just to try it but didnt make it back to the store in time.

So update....
Linux wouldnt boot this time, couldnt get past the menu without system freezing or loop rebooting...

Going to try buying some better usb's tomorrow because who knows?

Idk guys im seeing green at this point, been at it for 30 hours now....

Time for some sleep...So frustrating...

TRENDING THREADS