Experiencing a bad Problem

Cross_T

Honorable
May 21, 2013
I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 computer and I'd like an answer to this:

Recently I had no problem with my computer at all. It's a CPU I got from my mother about 2 1/2 years ago and it WAS wireless. Something happened last night when my aunt tossed the hard drive to the floor and now my wireless features are gone. I've tried system restore and NOTHING is working. IDK if I had a wireless card or not but the computer was able to pick up wifi signals but it couldn't connect with the ethernet cord either. Can I please get some help on how to fix this..?
The system does run on Windows 7 btw.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
So she tossed the computer and it hit the floor?

There is a difference between CPU, Hard drive and a computer so I'm a bit confused on the story.

If she physically tossed the computer and it hit the floor there is a good chance she broke something and you might be looking at a new machine, or repairs which can sometimes cost just as much as a new machine.

Cross_T

Honorable
May 21, 2013

Sorry. She tossed the hard drive out. That's what I meant between that. She tossed the hard drive out and it landed on the side. When I plugged it back up, it only had local area connections available and it needed an ethernet cord to do so. Another thing it did was reset the time of my computer all the way back to 2005

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Ok. Have you updated the time / date? This is typical of the computer loosing complete power and the cmos battery running out of juice (it typically keeps a small amount of power to save those type of settings)

That's interesting that only the wifi wouldn't work if the hard drive came unplugged physically. Go to computer management > Device manager and see if you have any yellow ?'s or !'s. Probably located under or near the network adapter section. Easiest way to get there is to press start and just type computer management in.

Cross_T

Honorable
May 21, 2013

The wireless I have is a d-link chip... I think. It's the one with the two antenna like pieces in the back.
I can't find the network adapter section though. I'm searching for it right now.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
K just had a look at your desktop your describing. So the wireless adapter is a plug in one correct? If it's USB then unplug it, wait for a bit.. Plug it back in. See if it reloads the driver needed for wireless.

Did it come with any disks by chance? (The adapter)

Cross_T

Honorable
May 21, 2013

I think it was installed... I don't know. I don't have any of the disks because it was given to me.
It's in the back of the computer. I can unscrew the antenna but that's about it... plus I still don't see the network adapter section in computer management.

Edit:

Nevermind I've found it. It's not even showing the wireless features but theres an Alert sign next to Ethernet controller