[SOLVED] Experiencing a series of different BSODs

Jul 2, 2021
PC recently started suffering from BSODs that may occur during booting, or when I'm using the PC.

The BSODs I get are WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR, PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA and WINDOWS SERVICE EXCEPTION

I was not in the middle of updating anything when the issue first occurred. First time it occured was during a gaming session, where it froze without a BSOD, forcing me to do a hard reboot after about five minutes of nothing happening, upon reboot it went straight into a BSOD loop. Right now it will boot into windows but another BSOD will occur after anywhere from 5 minutes to 15 minutes. I have tried running the windows memory diagnostic which reported no issues during the scan, have also tried removing and reinstalling drivers which did not solve the issue either. Currently I'm sitting in safe mode which prevents the issue from happening.

Included two minidumps here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/oxgt1n7h56rg2d2/minidump.rar/file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/fompcehemz07to2/minidump.rar/file

First link is more recent, second was from a week ago where the issues first started.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
thats all it takes, the CPU is the main part of PC after all, apart from motherboard. can't use one without other. CPU does everything though. If its faulty, everything will be strange.

Glad you got it fixed :D

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC?

I will ask a friend to convert dump files

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

if it doesn't happen in safe mode, it could mean its drivers or just that safe mode doesn't put as much stress on PC as normal mode

Jul 2, 2021
Specs are as follows:
CPU: i5 9400F
Motherboard: MSI B360M Mortar Titanium
GPU: MSI 2060
RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 2666mhz 8gb 2x

I can't recall the full build as this one is about two years old at this point, I have yet to attempt memtest as the two sticks of ram were recently RMA'd after the issue occured which did not solve the issue either so I ruled out the possibility of it being a ram related issue.

One thing I did note when I booted into windows regularly was that CPU consumption was much higher than normal from looking at task manager. Even now, the computer feels slightly choppy as I remain in safe mode.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you would think new ram should be okay... maybe we check everything else out and check them if we still need to

whea = an error I wish I didn't have to type out... erm, its a Windows Hardware Error Architecture. Its an error called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it.
Can be caused by Heat so make sure PC is clean of dust inside
Can be caused by overclocking so remove any you may have
can be caused by overclocking software so remove MSI gaming app or MSI Afterburner if you have them
Can be caused by any hardware
Can be caused by drivers
Can be fixed by updating bios. Do you know which one you have?
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B360M-MORTAR-TITANIUM

MSI show you how

if its playing up in safe mode its likely hardware

try running prime 95 off a USB, probably helps to use a working PC to make it
Prime 95 bootable - https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware

Prime 95 how to Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

do you remember what storage drives are in PC?

Jul 2, 2021
Haven't touched oc at all for the CPU, afaik the F series aren't capable of oc so I left it alone. I do have MSI afterburner installed to monitor GPU temps but I haven't touched it in a long time, I'll get it removed and see if it changes anything. I haven't updated my bios in about a year, but it matches up with whats on the MSI site.

As for storage drives I have a samsung 250gb m2 ssd and a toshiba 2tb HDD.

Prime95 is used to stress test the CPU, right? I don't have access to another PC right now, but I'll give it a shot when I do.

Colif

Win 11 Master
prime 95 stress tests cpu & ram.

if windows worked I would just get you to run the intel processor diagnostic tool but it won't run off USB.

No point uninstalling afterburner right now in safe mode, it wouldn't be running.

Wait until my friend has checked the dumps, it might offer me a clue. He should be asleep right now.

Jul 2, 2021
Alright, I'll hang tight for now. Thanks for helping out!

quick edit for more info: BSOD occurs seemingly at complete random after booting into windows, I leave it on idle and it still crashes at different timings. It sometimes occurs during bootup as well.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran 8 of the 10 dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/dsj8ucw0/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:070221-43281-01.dmp (Jul 2 2021 - 01:41:36)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: dwm.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 58 Sec(s)

File information:070221-39515-01.dmp (Jul 2 2021 - 07:52:19)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 44 Sec(s)

File information:070221-37343-01.dmp (Jul 2 2021 - 01:39:03)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Avira.ServiceHost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 09 Sec(s)

File information:070221-33031-01.dmp (Jul 1 2021 - 23:53:37)
Bugcheck:MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION (9C)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 45 Sec(s)

File information:070221-32359-01.dmp (Jul 2 2021 - 08:01:18)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)

File information:062421-32906-01.dmp (Jun 23 2021 - 14:46:48)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: csrss.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 06 Sec(s)

File information:062421-26890-01.dmp (Jun 23 2021 - 15:25:16)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 07 Sec(s)

File information:062421-21796-01.dmp (Jun 23 2021 - 14:17:42)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 07 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

At least 2 of the crashes were caused by the NVIDIA driver. Resetting the driver by using DDU in safe mode then a reinstall of different version of the driver may help (more info). However several others are WHEA errors which usually indicate hardware. I recommend you try memtest86 to test the RAM (more info), and do some type of CPU test (there are a few choices). Removing any overclocks may help. If temps are too high this can cause WHEA errors also. This can be caused by dust build up.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B360M-MORTAR-TITANIUM
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using version A.8 and the latest stable version is A.B. We recommend avoiding Beta versions. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i see at least 3 GPU crashes there without even looking at results (yet)
top WHEA - victim Windows Desktop Manager sits between Applications & GPU

then 2 crashes on 23 June were also Nvidia
WHEA error dumps very rarely tell me anything so you lucky 2 pointed at Nvidia

No NVidia drivers mentioned at all in last crash, so are you using the ones that come with windows now?

I hate how Intel copied the AMD trend and now release CPU without Igpu in them. Its possible cause is GPU itself , especially if you have problems running in safe mode

@gardenman he recently rma ram so while it could be ram, I think I check everything else first as ram didn't fix problem. Sure, new ram could be bad

unsure what this is for. Might not be part of problem, I don't know
May 10 2016NemuDrv.sysNemu Hypervisor driver?
Bios update might help

Jul 2, 2021
Yeah, currently sitting on the windows display drivers after I uninstalled the nvidia drivers.

I believe nemusys is part of an android emulator that I installed quite some time ago, something that I haven't touched recently either.

Is it possible for a faulty CPU or motherboard to lead to these crashes as well?

Jul 2, 2021
Still haven't been able to get another working PC so I can't run prime95 off USB and I don't think I'll be able to do so for now, maybe a week later where I'll be meeting up with friends.

I've also been experiencing quite a lot of power outages within my area as well so i don't feel too comfortable going with a bios update.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I've also been experiencing quite a lot of power outages within my area as well so i don't feel too comfortable going with a bios update.
yeah, i wouldn't do that.

if its going to take a while to another PC to make USB, I would suggest making this at same time - https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/
not on same USB.

Running in Ubuntu live USB at least tell us if problem is just windows or might show cause.

how often does it bsod in normal mode? you can't sit in safe mode forever. you limited with what you can do there.

I would be tempted to get PC repaired by a shop. They should have the means of checking PC and seeing if it is the GPU. Might be faster than waiting a week.

Jul 2, 2021
how often does it bsod in normal mode? you can't sit in safe mode forever. you limited with what you can do there.

I would be tempted to get PC repaired by a shop. They should have the means of checking PC and seeing if it is the GPU. Might be faster than waiting a week.

It'll BSOD within 5 to 15 minutes if I boot it up normally at completely random timings as far as I can tell. I was looking to bring it in to a shop as well, as what I can do by myself feels very limited since I don't have spare components to test with.

I think I'll just bring it to a shop and get it looked at, if I close the thread now can I return at a later date to update my post? I'd like to share what went wrong with the machine and how it was fixed for anyone else that might be experiencing something like this.

Jul 2, 2021
Alright, back from the shop, turns out the CPU was faulty which lead to the BSODs, it has been replaced and so far my computer has been running fine.

Will leave thread open a little while longer to report back after using the computer for a little while longer.

Colif

Win 11 Master
thats all it takes, the CPU is the main part of PC after all, apart from motherboard. can't use one without other. CPU does everything though. If its faulty, everything will be strange.

Glad you got it fixed :D

Solution