Question Experiencing crashes in games and strange rebooting after shutdown.

AJStellios

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
Hi, I recently upgraded my PC with a new case, cooler and a Samsung 980 1tb m.2. Since then, I've been experiencing crashes in games after about half an hour, where the screen will go black and have no signal, and audio will also cutoff. My PC also keeps on rebooting itself after I press shutdown, just like if I press the restart button. After one crash I checked the event viewer and found this log:

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 117
Parameter 1: ffffab0179da4460
Parameter 2: fffff805468a7f64
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 13c4
OS version: 10_0_19043
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.19043.2.0.0.768.101

Locale ID: 2057

With getting a New SSD I suspect that is the issue but have no idea to be certain and am unsure how to start troubleshooting.

My other specs are:
Ryzen 5600x
GTX 1060 6Gb
16Gb 2133Mhz DDR4
MSI B550i Gaming Edge WiFi

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and mode of your PSU. How old is the unit in the build? BIOS version for your motherboard? To be blunt, you're loosing performance when using DDR4-2133MHz rams on a platform that can doo well above 3600MHz. When you upgraded the storage on the platform, did you need to clone the OS drive? If so, you should've reinstalled the OS instead of cloning the prior OS. That being said, what other storage drives are connected to the motherboard?

AJStellios

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
You forgot to mention the make and mode of your PSU. How old is the unit in the build? BIOS version for your motherboard? To be blunt, you're loosing performance when using DDR4-2133MHz rams on a platform that can doo well above 3600MHz. When you upgraded the storage on the platform, did you need to clone the OS drive? If so, you should've reinstalled the OS instead of cloning the prior OS. That being said, what other storage drives are connected to the motherboard?
My PSU is a Corsair CXM 550W. It's about 5 years old but had no problems with it prior to this upgrade. I can't exactly remember the BIOS version, but I did update it when I got the motherboard and Ryzen in December to insure it was Ryzen 5000 compatible. I'm aware of the RAM being quite slow, next thing on my upgrade list along with a new gpu. I have no other storage devices installed and installed Windows from scratch onto the m.2.

Since posting I had another video output crash, and went to restart the computer. The fans and lights turn on, but video doesn't. The lights never start the config set in NZXT cam, which implies that software never started and therefore windows isn't booting along with the video output not working.

AJStellios

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
Update: Booted my pc with the SSD I replaced to see if it was simply a faulty m.2. PC still crashed when trying to play a game and this time the GPU fan went full power.

AJStellios

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
Update: Swapped out my 1060 with an old Radeon HD 7790. PC didn't crash when playing games, but still crashed/rebooted on shutdown with event viewer saying Kernel Power errors are to blame. This makes me think maybe a PSU or PSU cable issue? Anyway to confirm this before I order a new PSU?

AJStellios

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
Didi you connect the 8-pin ( 2x4) CPU-PWR-connection, too (left upper corner of MB)?
Yep I have checked all my power cables just incase they were loose or had any damage and hadn't noticed, but everything seems fine. I've ordered a new PSU that should arrive tomorrow, hopefully that will fix whatever the problem is, if not I needed a new PSU for the 30 series graphics cards anyway.