Experiencing freezing on some games

sam.bird91

Reputable
Oct 5, 2017
Currently my PC appears to be completely freezing up on some games I play. The games I've identified it doing it on are currently Age of Empires II, and Mount and Blade Warband. However Stellaris and PUBG don't suffer from this issue. It's interesting that the two light load games are the ones experiencing issues.

My PC completely freezes, often followed by buzzing, and I need to hard shutdown the PC.

Here are my specs:
i5 4460
12gb RAM (over two modules)
Asus - H81M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
EVGA 100-B1-0500-KR - 500W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply
AMD R9 280 GPU

Everything apart from the motherboard is about four years old. The motherboard is only a couple of months old.

Any help would be great!

Great, thanks for the help!

sam.bird91

Reputable
Oct 5, 2017

No luck. Did that. Ten minutes later AoE II froze up, however this time there was no buzzing.

sam.bird91

Reputable
Oct 5, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from sam.bird91 : "Experiencing freezing whilst gaming"

Currently my PC appears to be completely freezing up on some games I play. The games I've identified it doing it on are currently Age of Empires II, and Mount and Blade Warband. However Stellaris and PUBG don't suffer from this issue. It's interesting that the two light load games are the ones experiencing issues.

My PC completely freezes, often followed by buzzing, and I need to hard shutdown the PC. It's nothing hard drive related because all my games are on the same SSD and some work whilst others don't. It's also not an audio issue.

Here are my specs:
i5 4460
12gb RAM (over two modules)
Asus - H81M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
EVGA 100-B1-0500-KR - 500W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply
AMD R9 280 GPU

Everything apart from the motherboard is about four years old. The motherboard is only a couple of months old.

Any help would be great!

Great, thanks for the help!

MERGED QUESTION
Question from sam.bird91 : "Freezing that requires a hard shutdown whilst gaming"

Why did you need to change the motherboard?
Did you reinstall windows after change of motherboard?

What ram module configuration do you have? Are all modules from same ram kit?

sam.bird91

Reputable
Oct 5, 2017

My motherboard became broken and I wasn't able to even access the BIOS. Replaced it and everything works fine. And yes I reinstalled it after calling Microsoft and they let me reinstall Windows 10.

I have one 8GB stick and one 4GB stick. They're not from the same kit. They're also DDR3.