[SOLVED] Experiencing Frequent FPS Drops

Feb 29, 2020
I have a
ASUS ROG Zephyrus S Ultra Slim Gaming PC Laptop, 15.6in 144Hz IPS-Type, Intel i7-8750H GeForce GTX 1070, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD Win 10 Home- GX531GS-AH76
I have cleaned the laptop of space, updated drivers. I experience random and frequent FPS drops where ill have solid FPS and then it will randomly drop down and back again to normal levels after 5 seconds. This happens in gmaes like Minecraft which it should run just fine. The computer's CPU heat is at 90 degrees average. It is on a hard surface and the laptop is only 4 months old. What should i do next?

Solution
At 90 Degrees the CPU will start to thermal throttle. This is a problem with most gaming laptops these days, it's usually the CPU, GPU or both. There's not much you can do other then either try to put a higher quality thermal paste like Acrctic MX-4 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut or try and do a liquid metal aka gallium (you need to be careful as liquid metal is both electrically conductive and will deteriorate anything aluminum) which a lot of people do on gaming laptops as liquid metal can give you 10-20 degree better temps.

The only other thing you can do is under-volt your CPU/GPU.
At 90 Degrees the CPU will start to thermal throttle. This is a problem with most gaming laptops these days, it's usually the CPU, GPU or both. There's not much you can do other then either try to put a higher quality thermal paste like Acrctic MX-4 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut or try and do a liquid metal aka gallium (you need to be careful as liquid metal is both electrically conductive and will deteriorate anything aluminum) which a lot of people do on gaming laptops as liquid metal can give you 10-20 degree better temps.

The only other thing you can do is under-volt your CPU/GPU.

Solution
Perhaps INtel's XTU will let you dial in slightly lower peak turbo speeds in the all core load environment; sometimes lowering clock speeds even by only 100 MHz goes a long way in heat reduction.... (lowering temps even to 'onl' 80-85C might eliminate throttle issues altogether, at only the expense in 1 FPS from peak frame rates...

TRENDING THREADS