[SOLVED] Experiencing frequent ping spikes up to 200ms or more on a fresh install of Windows

Mar 19, 2019
Recently I have been having many problems with my PC regarding online gaming on a wired connection, playing any online game I get large ping-spikes, rubber banding and sometimes my PC will actually just disconnect from the internet for a few seconds. I started experiencing these problems since upgrading motherboard and CPU from an i5 6600k with an ASUS PRIME Z370-A to a Ryzen 5 2600x with a GIGABYTE AURUS X470 board. Due to other issues regarding performance, due to incorrectly uninstalling previous drivers I decided to run a fresh install of Windows. Ever since then I have been experiencing the exact same issues with high ping spikes and disconnections. I have tried to obvious things: turning PC on and off again, restarting router and double-checking and changing ethernet ports. I have done ping-tests on this PC and other devices and the ping-spikes only occurred on my PC, my actual connection speed also seems to be fine.

My PC Specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
MOBO: AURUS GIGABYTE X470
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070

The router my family uses is a BT Home Hub 5.

Here is a link to a ping test result: https://www.netmeter.co.uk/ping-test/201911-25141-5330.html

Solution
I have same issues with him after i updated my pc to ryzen 5 2600.
All games have sudden lag spikes/rubber banding.
I have 5mbps upload and i can't even stream with 2000 bitrate. It gives me HUGE ms.
Even tho all internet tests are perfect.
Hope you guys find a solution to this.

EDIT :

I might have fixed it. Download the driver from here.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...k-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=64403
After that uninstall your network driver and install the new one.
Since it only occurs on this pc it must be software or driver related.

First be very sure no other machines are affected or you will be chasing the wrong issue.

The only things that stands out is some silly cfos network software bundled with that board. Make sure that is not installed. I would not install the norton internet security to start with either. The one from microsoft with win10 is good enough in most cases and you can reinstall the norton one if you really want once you get your issue resolved,

I would try nic drivers both from intel and your motherboard manufacture. It is not uncommon for the microsoft update that is forced as soon as you install to install crappy microsoft drivers. There is a check box in the update screen to prevent it in the future but it still has a bad tendency to load the microsoft ones on the first install. I would try the motherboard ones first, you will have to get the nic chipset to get the ones from intel.

After this you get desperate I think. Maybe try a linux distribution you can boot from a USB driver. That way you don't have to reinstall windows again. If it does not work on 2 different os I would be suspect of a hardware issue...but I don't think I have actually seen any that causes delays

Mar 19, 2019
Since it only occurs on this pc it must be software or driver related.

First be very sure no other machines are affected or you will be chasing the wrong issue.

The only things that stands out is some silly cfos network software bundled with that board. Make sure that is not installed. I would not install the norton internet security to start with either. The one from microsoft with win10 is good enough in most cases and you can reinstall the norton one if you really want once you get your issue resolved,

I would try nic drivers both from intel and your motherboard manufacture. It is not uncommon for the microsoft update that is forced as soon as you install to install crappy microsoft drivers. There is a check box in the update screen to prevent it in the future but it still has a bad tendency to load the microsoft ones on the first install. I would try the motherboard ones first, you will have to get the nic chipset to get the ones from intel.

After this you get desperate I think. Maybe try a linux distribution you can boot from a USB driver. That way you don't have to reinstall windows again. If it does not work on 2 different os I would be suspect of a hardware issue...but I don't think I have actually seen any that causes delays
I don't know what software you are talking about but I am pretty sure I haven't installed it. Also I don't have Norton installed.

I have tried installing my motherboard drivers, intel drivers and using just windows drivers. My issue was actually fixed yesterday for a short period, I deleted my drivers through device manager and control panel and then updated them through windows. However today my PC froze and since rebooting I have been experiencing the same issues. I have tried recreating what I did before but to no avail.

Mar 19, 2019
If you have ipv6 enabled try to disable that. If your ISP actually supports IPv6 you sometimes get a different path than IPv4 takes. This likely is not the problem but it is all I can think of.
No, I disabled ipv6 and nothing changed. What I don't understand is how what I did before worked then but not now. I have tried multiple times to delete my drivers via device manager and then using intels installer but it won't fix the issue.

Maybe go back to very basic tests. Do you see ping spikes with nothing running and you ping your router IP. If you leave the ping to the router run in the background does it show spikes at the same time a game does. You can not trust games because they will blame the network for delayed even when the data was sitting in a buffer on the machine and the game was too busy to read it.

Oscil

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
I have same issues with him after i updated my pc to ryzen 5 2600.
All games have sudden lag spikes/rubber banding.
I have 5mbps upload and i can't even stream with 2000 bitrate. It gives me HUGE ms.
Even tho all internet tests are perfect.
Hope you guys find a solution to this.

EDIT :

I might have fixed it. Download the driver from here.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...k-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=64403
After that uninstall your network driver and install the new one.

Last edited:
Solution