Experiencing Lots of BSODS

Jun 8, 2018
I have had a Windows 8.1 for a long time. But recently, I've been experiencing lots of all sorts of bsods, and when I restart my computer, it beeps endlessly. But when I tried to resolve them, I noticed 2 things.

When I used the commands "sfc /scannow" and "dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" in the command prompt, they say that corrupt files are found, but couldn't be fixed. After performing the "dism.exe" command, I got the error 0x800f081f.

Also, when I use Windows update to update my drivers, one important update isn't installed and it says that there is error 800F0831.

I have not used System Restore because I feel that I should only use it if no other options work.

Please help ASAP, it would be greatly appreciated!

Jun 8, 2018

I downloaded Hard Disk Sentinel, but it says that the performance is 100% and Health is 98%.
The green box states,

"230 errors occurred during data transfer.
At this point, warranty replacement of the disk is not yet possible, only if the health drops further.
In case of sudden system crash, reboot, blue-screen-of-death, inaccessible file(s)/folder(s), it is recommended to verify data and power cables, connections - and if possible try different cables to prevent further problems.
More information: https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_case_communication_error.php
It is recommended to examine the log of the disk regularly. All new problems found will be logged there.

No actions needed."

But, I don't know how to check my HDD status, so could you explain how to do that in more detail?

Jun 8, 2018

Sorry for the late reply.

Log says there are no problems, but SMART shows me a lot of critical, error-rate, self-preserving, and statistical attributes.
What do I do now?

how old is HD?
what make/brand
check website from manufacturer and see what software tools they have
also they should have some kind of question you can ask them and if it can be replaced.
Low level format can help, but will wipe the entire drive. Which is not what you want, unless you can back up all information

Jun 8, 2018

I was a bit confused on how to find how old my HD is, but my Power On Time Count in SMART is 7,417.

The make/brand of my computer is:
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Pen and Touch: No Pen or Touch Input is available for this Display

I checked the AMD website and found 4 tools, but I didn't know which one to use.

I went to the frequently asked questions page on the AMD page, but I didn't find a single question asking if a hard disk could be replaced.

I could try low level format, but I don't want to since I do not know how to back up all information and I am not a computer expert.

Jun 8, 2018

Oh, sorry. I thought you meant the model/brand of my computer.

Is the model/brand of my hdd in the Disk Information subcategory in the Information category? Because I found that the manufacturer of my disk is Seagate Technology, and the disk family is Barracuda 7200.12 if that information is useful. But I still don't know which part tells me how many days old my hdd is.

Now you know its Seagate go to there website, see what tools they offer and contact support there. They are normally a helpful bunch of people.

In HDD Sentinel, under Overview - it says -
power on time; 1154days, 4 hours
Estimated remaining lifetime; more than 657 days
Total start/stop count; 929

Jun 8, 2018

Thanks! HDD Sentinel says:
Power on time: 309 days, 16 hours
Estimated remaining lifetime: more than 1000 days
Total start/stop count: 2,131