[SOLVED] Experiencing screen tearing at both 144fps and mainly between 100-130 with FREESYNC =[

Abdullahx9000

Reputable
Jun 26, 2016
Questions:
  1. Is it normal to feel a VERY unsmooth experience when my fps drops from 141 to around 100-130fps on a 144hz Freesync Monitor?
  2. Any idea what could cause the issue?
  3. Also am I not supposed to still have a smooth experience at fps between 100 and 144 with Freesync?

Example:
I play Overwatch and have mostly a consistent 141fps (I have capped fps in games to 141), though sometimes midfight my fps drops to around 130 and I can feel the game becoming VERY unsmooth, as in it feels like I am playing at low fps such as 60 even though I have Freesync on my monitor and GPU.

AMD Radeon settings and ingame settings:
  • All kind of sync settings disabled. (Only freesync enabled)
  • FPS Capped to 141 in all games, either through the game's fps capper or with RTSS if a game does not have a built in capper.

PC Specs:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-6700
  • GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT 8GB
  • RAM: 16GB Samsung M378A1G43DB0-CPB 2x8GB
  • MBD: Asus PRIME B250M-A
  • PSU: 750W
  • Main Monitor: KG241Q 144hz

Solution
If I remember correctly when I was looking at my Radeon Settings, it stated that my Freesync range for my monitor is 54-144. Though when I get any fps lower than 141 it feels laggy and unsmooth. It does not feel like screentearing, but more like lag/stutters.

Also not sure how relevant this is, but when I was looking at my display settings in windows there was an option called "variable refresh rate" that is enabled. Any idea what this is?

When you mean installing the newest drivers, is it for the Graphics Card? And should I use DDU to delete remains of older drivers and then install the newest?
Variable refresh rate is just a generic name for FreeSync or G-Sync. I do mean install the newest GPU drivers. Try just downloading...

Abdullahx9000

Reputable
Jun 26, 2016
With FreeSync you should have a smooth experience between 30-144fps as the monitor has a 30-144Hz variable refresh rate.

If I remember correctly when I was looking at my Radeon Settings, it stated that my Freesync range for my monitor is 54-144. Though when I get any fps lower than 141 it feels laggy and unsmooth. It does not feel like screentearing, but more like lag/stutters.

Also not sure how relevant this is, but when I was looking at my display settings in windows there was an option called "variable refresh rate" that is enabled. Any idea what this is?

Perhaps try installing the newest drivers and use the clean install options where it will completely remove the old drivers.

When you mean installing the newest drivers, is it for the Graphics Card? And should I use DDU to delete remains of older drivers and then install the newest?

Variable refresh rate is just a generic name for FreeSync or G-Sync. I do mean install the newest GPU drivers. Try just downloading the current drivers from AMD and see if the installation media allows for clean install of drivers. If it doesn't use DDU to remove the old drivers.

Solution

Abdullahx9000

Reputable
Jun 26, 2016
Variable refresh rate is just a generic name for FreeSync or G-Sync. I do mean install the newest GPU drivers. Try just downloading the current drivers from AMD and see if the installation media allows for clean install of drivers. If it doesn't use DDU to remove the old drivers.
I will try that out and let you know the results as soon as I get to do it. Thanks for the suggestions!