Question Experiencing some high idle temps. What should I do?

Dec 23, 2019
System specs:
Ryzen 5 1600 at 3.4GHz
Stock AMD Wraith Spire Cooler
RX570 from Gigabyte
Suppressor F31 (case)
I have one 120mm in the front for intake and another one in the rear for exhaust.
Corsair cx 550

Idle temp: around 40 degrees Celsius
Not sure what to do about this.

Last edited:

karpule

Great
Dec 23, 2019
i dont know how much you know so im gonna assume you know nothing). how many hard drives you got? sounds like youre pulling all your air in past your hard drives (they get hot). how close is the back vent to your wall? your graphics card looks like its gonna be pushing hot air out the back too so youll end up with a cushion of hot air at the back. i have my psu upturned to pull air out of the pc i also have a fan blowing in between the psu and graphics card. i have 2 top fans blowing straight up and no fan on my hard drives. also when did you dust it last? if you get a build up of fluff on your heatsinks (cpu and gfx) itll slow the air that cools the fins. sorry if this sounds patronising.

An idle temp of 40c is nothing to worry about and fairly normal with a stock cooler, or really any cooler for that matter. Depending of course on room temperature. Usually expect to see 10-15c above ambient for idle temps.

What are your load temps? As those would be more telling of any possible issue.

Dec 23, 2019
i dont know how much you know so im gonna assume you know nothing). how many hard drives you got? sounds like youre pulling all your air in past your hard drives (they get hot). how close is the back vent to your wall? your graphics card looks like its gonna be pushing hot air out the back too so youll end up with a cushion of hot air at the back. i have my psu upturned to pull air out of the pc i also have a fan blowing in between the psu and graphics card. i have 2 top fans blowing straight up and no fan on my hard drives. also when did you dust it last? if you get a build up of fluff on your heatsinks (cpu and gfx) itll slow the air that cools the fins. sorry if this sounds patronising.
I have one hard drive and yes, the fan is partially blowing on the hard drive. I have around a 16cm gap between the wall the back vent. I don't have too much dust as i cleaned it quite recently.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a Ryzen, not an intel, they work differently.

With Intel, they lower frequency and voltage across every core, but they all remain active at idle, so windows and background tasks get spread out across all the cores. You'll see when stuff is happening because the 30°C idle will suddenly jump to 50°C temporarily as a new process is started.

With Ryzen, it shuts down cores entirely. So you'll end up with just 1 active core doing all the work instead, it's not spread out. So instead of bouncing temps like Intel, Ryzen stays pretty stable, at a higher rate.

40°C is very decent, stock or not.