Question Experiencing WHEA-Logger Event ID 19 warnings. Do I need to RMA my CPU and/or motherboard?

Aug 18, 2020
I just recently finished my first PC build. I noticed different apps would randomly crash, though I couldn't get this to reproduce, so I suspected it was just a coincidence. Then Firefox tabs seemed to be crashing more frequently. My screen would also flicker black for a fraction of a second. I suspected something was up. I then noticed "CPU Cache L0 Errors" in HWiNFO64. I then decided to check the system events and I noticed I'm getting literally hundreds of WHEA-Logger warnings with Event ID 19 ("A corrected hardware error has occurred. Reported by component: Processor Core"). Uh oh.

Further research suggests this could be related to core voltage (amongst the possibility of many other causes).

First, I booted into Safe Mode. "Success!" The issues did not occur here (no WHEA-Logger ID 19 warnings, no random crashes, no screen flickering).

Next, I tried creating a new user account. The issues still occurred here.

I updated the BIOS. The issues still persisted.

I then set the core voltage to 'overridden' with a value of 1.2750 V (as opposed to the default value of 'auto'). This completely eliminated all issues, random crashes, and screen flickers. I ran prime95 for ~30 minutes and still no issues. This seemed to be a big improvement as I was no longer having any issues--normally, the WHEA warnings would appear almost immediately after logging in, and especially upon doing anything more demanding, e.g. gaming or a stress test. However, I realised that having the core voltage set to a constant 1.2750 V is probably not a good idea.

Moreover, I feel like I should not have to mess around with core voltage settings in order for my PC build to "just work" out of the box.
I am not doing any overclocking, nor do I intend to. Do I perhaps have a faulty CPU? Motherboard? Perhaps the motherboard is undervolting the CPU and has a faulty 'auto' function? Is it possible I installed something incorrectly (e.g. didn't plug in a cord or cable all the way)? This is my first build after all. I'm wondering if I might have to RMA something here.

Build specs are as follows:
  1. AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  2. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
  3. Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
  4. G.SKILL 32 GB (2 x 16) 3200 MHz
[UPDATE: I set it to an offset of just +0.05 V and this seems to be working so far. I haven't done more testing/use of this mode yet. Nevermind, the issues starting popping up, strangely enough, once I let my the CPU idle (e.g. leaving it on the desktop background and not using it). Within a matter of minutes, over 30 Event 19 warnings have occurred.]

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS