Status
Not open for further replies.

newatpcbuilding

Commendable
Jun 4, 2017
Someone please explain to me as simple as possible. Buying a mouse and it says 130 IPS and up to 1000 Hz report rate. My old mouse had 125Hz max. polling rate. So what's what? What caused my mouse to "freak out" or not being able turning around my character for 180 degrees really fast with low sensitivity. So what should i look for when buying a mouse if i want a mouse that can handle a very low sensitivity competitive gaming? Please explain in a very basic way :)

Solution
Here is a great article that explains the mouse specifications well.

https://www.howtogeek.com/182702/mouse-dpi-and-polling-rates-explained-do-they-matter-for-gaming/

newatpcbuilding

Commendable
Jun 4, 2017

So from what i've read and understood polling rate should effect the lag when you move the mouse and it wouldn't be as accurate. And the mouse i'm looking at has max acceleration of 30G which is a lot from what i've googled. Was the max acceleration stopping my mouse from being able to flick 180 degrees? Can't really google much about mouse acceleration since only the windows acceleration articles show up

The polling rate is just how often the mouse checks its position (more is better). Accuracy is more a product of the mouse sensor quality The DPI is basically a measure of how sensitive the mouse is going to be to movement. For example if you set the DPI really high, then if you move the mouse a little the cursor on the screen is going to move a lot. The IPS that you mentioned is a measure of this. It is basically the multiplier of the mouse movement to the distance the cursor moves on the screen. Basically if the DPI is set really high the mouse becomes unusable because the mouse cursor will always be shooting from one side of the monitor to the other. Reduce the DPI setting until the cursor movement is comfortable to you.

If you are buying a new mouse, buy the best quality sensor that you can afford. The Logitech G403 wireless is a great buy.

Perhaps it is just the desktop surface. If the mouse is "optical" it is more sensitive to surface than if it is "laser". Even laser can find some surfaces to be problematic. Try a different surface and make sure no dust is covering the sensor.

When the mouse produces data it goes to a buffer. Each time the driver polls for data in the buffer it updates. A 100Hz refresh means data accumulates for about 10ms before it can be used. At 1000Hz data only accumulates at most 1ms before it is used...1000Hz is smoother motion. The trick is that the driver has to have time to be serviced...if there is something consuming the system resources there is a possibility it won't get to the driver on time. No matter how good your mouse is it depends on the driver getting a time slice to service the mouse.

Now look at it in a different view point...a mouse which tracks higher DPI or finer changes pushes more data to the buffer in a given period of time for a given movement (versus a lower DPI mouse). The buffer must be larger. If the buffer is insufficient, then you get a buffer overrun before the driver is serviced. If the mouse is 100 times more sensitive than the old mouse, but services are ten times faster, then your buffer still needs 10 times more capacity to avoid the buffer overrun. Overrun data is lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.