explain what Anti Aliasing & Mipmapping are?

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Antialiasing is the removal of jagged edges caused by color differences on the 2d representation (monitor display) of a 3d image. They are removed by using samples that blend the colors of the "foreground" with those of the "background." Todays video cards use 2/4/6/8 samples per pixel (or per jagged edge). 6x AA on an ATi video card will rid you of ALL jagged edges.

These days, no matter what company you like, be it <b>nVidia, ATi, or whatever,</b> no matter how logical your reasons, you're labeled an <b>idiot</b> or a <b>fanboy</b>, or <b>both.</b>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Daddywags, the removal of jagged edges is the RESULT of anti-aliasing, it in itself is not antialiasing. Your definition after that is anti-aliasing! [Just FYI, also, I like that comment about 6xAA on ATI cards:)]

Mipmapping is what makes your textures look like sh*t far away, or at low (numerically) angles, without the use of anisotropic filtering. Anisotropic filtering is to textures what anti-aliasing is to jagged edges!
Mipmaping goes in levels, where each consequtive level, or band, is of a lesser resolution, thereby looking sh*ttier than the previous one.

For an in depth look at what mip-mapping is, go <A HREF="http://www.opengl.org/developers/documentation/Specs/glspec1.1/node84.html" target="_new"> here. </A>

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.opengl.org/developers/documentation/Specs/glspec1.1/node43.html#SECTION00620000000000000000" target="_new"> Here </A> is a nice explanation of anti-aliasing, although there are no pictures to help you visualize it, which would be nice.

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Willamette_Sucks on 08/01/03 02:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

hachiman

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
I have fs2004.
And when i have Mipmapping on full'the textures in one of the view Windsows are horrible.

So the idea is to have Mipmapping off or on low?

Thanx

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Daddywags, the removal of jagged edges is the RESULT of anti-aliasing, it in itself is not antialiasing.

I know, I was generalizing. Keeping it simple.

These days, no matter what company you like, be it <b>nVidia, ATi, or whatever,</b> no matter how logical your reasons, you're labeled an <b>idiot</b> or a <b>fanboy</b>, or <b>both.</b>

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
does anyone not think that once AA reaches 4x anything beyond is utterly pointless?

<i>"We have always been here." - Ambassador Koch, Babylon 5
--------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2100+, 1Gb RAM, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hardocp.com has some interesting articles revealing driver cheats. They used mipmap colorization (artificial coloring) to demonstrate how the drivers were implementing various filtering.

I don't have a link but check out the site and find the articles. The articles demonstate mipmapping very well.

As for anti-aliasing, anti-aliasing is the removal or counteraction of aliasing. Aliasing is stair-stepping. When diagonal lines approach near-vertical or near horizontal you can see this ugly stair-stepping effect.

Anti-aliasing reduces this effect by using color/contrast blending. Pixels adjacent to the "steps" have their colors altered (maybe the "steps" do as well, not sure). This softens the detail of the "steps" and makes the intended line seem smoother. The steps become less defined and less distracting, which is the point of antialiasing.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
That's like when Bill Gates said noone would ever need more than 640k of memory.

I already use 6xAA, and its noticeably better than 4xAA when used at 1024x768.

The end goal is for games/rendered images to look completely realistic. Do you see ANY jagged lines in real life?

A few years ago, my hypothesis was that as games evolved, and as hardware advanced, the resolution would just keep increasing, and increasing, till you couldnt see any jagged edges. Back then I had never heard of anti-aliasing.

It wouldn't be wise to make ANY statement as to what resolution and what level of anti-aliasing would be the most you'd ever need. Who knows what well be using 2 years from now. Everyone (the enthusiasts) could be running 2048x1536 with 8xAA! Where as the avg. - low range consumers could run 1024x768 with 4xAA (like the enthusiasts do now!).

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Well, I'd have to see the game to see what its actually doing.. but it seems as though what SHOULD happen, is the higher the mip-map setting (in the game) the more transitions there are, and therefore the smoother the transitions and the textures should seem.

But if you say it looks like crap with it at max, then maybe thats not what its doing. Try it on low (in my experience with other games, OFF produces what I would describe as ONE UGLY PIECE OF SH*T IMAGE!).

Also, what kind of graphics card do you have? If possible, turn on anisotropic filtering.

BTW FS2004 is a flight sim, the point being, to fly... up, up in the air. If you get close to the ground in a non-high-detailed area, like vegas, of course the textures are gonna look like crap.

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
aliasing:..........| anti-aliasing:
YYYYYYYRRRRR | YYYYYYYRRRRR
YYYYYYYRRRRR | YYYYYYYRRRRR
YYYYYYYRRRRR | YYYYYYORRRRR
YYYYYYRRRRRR | YYYYYYORRRRR
YYYYYYRRRRRR | YYYYYYRRRRRR
YYYYYYRRRRRR | YYYYYYRRRRRR
YYYYYYRRRRRR | YYYYYORRRRRR
YYYYYRRRRRRR | YYYYYORRRRRR
YYYYYRRRRRRR | YYYYYRRRRRRR
YYYYYRRRRRRR | YYYYYRRRRRRR
Y=yellow
R=red
O=orange

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
I have a CAD home designer thing that renders images with 16x FSAA (in addition to raytracing)... at any resolution you want. NOW there's antialiasing. I have an image of a bathroom with a chrome tub, which at 2048x1536 16x FSAA (with raw rendering no AF is needed) is just awesome. I can't wait till that can be done in realtime.

SHARKMEAT

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
BTW There is no " - " in ANTIALIASING.The point of this is a stright Line you have no edges,if you bend the line in graphic you get a saw blade tooth efect so what this ANTIALIASING does is fill in the saw teeth with surounding colors it steals from a closer object it finds.If you use any tool like print shop pro and try to make a circle,you haft to use little blocks at a certain zoom,but after you make the circle you zoom back in or out and the circle looks smooth or saw tooth.It,s Like flying at 30000 feet up you don't see little rocks on the ground and it looks real smooth.After you get closer to the ground the rough stuff starts showing up like real bolder rocks :).( In real life Reality view willamette sucks seems the same logic dosen't it).hachiman I suggest you go to google.com and do a search on this topic;Alot of detail here to cover if you want all the facts.

TREAD SLOWLY IN DANGEROUS WATERS