[SOLVED] Explaining crossfire/ is it worth it

Dec 2, 2018
I have a RX 570 in my current PC. I am wondering if I were to get another card, how would Crossfire work, and if i get the same card; 2 RX 570s, would it be helpful for gaming. The reason im asking if it is helpful for gaming is because i was watching a review of the RX 570, and they said there wasnt enough ram for certain games at 4k. So im wondering if putting a second card would do anything so that those settings for 4k would work fine. (I have a 4k monitor)

Solution
Yeah i'll take 1440P over 1080p if 4k isn't an option. 1440P is actually a lot closer to 108P than people think. 1080P is 2.1 MP, 144P = 3.68MP and 4k is 8.5 MP. Current no AMD card can handle 4K well. (yes even VEGA). Wait a few months and get a Navi or grab a RTX 2080 now. Crossfire is a waste of money.
Crossfire shares information over the PCI-E bus between two similar cards. The problem is that the textures and such have to be loaded into both cards. So you end up not gaining anything in memory, you just gain in rendering, which sounds great, but doesn't work so great in practice. It takes half the frame and renders it with one card and half the frame with the other. If you were trying to render a 4K image with it it would be like rendering 2 1080p screens side by side... on each card, which is a little much for the 570 in most newer games.

Put plainly, Crossfire is a pain in the rear. However some people have had good luck with it. I don't recommend it to anyone.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

Very true but even 1440P on a 4K looks better then 1080P on 4K monitor by a mile. So shy of getting a new monitor you have some choices to make on performance vs quality when gaming.

iamacow

Admirable
Yeah i'll take 1440P over 1080p if 4k isn't an option. 1440P is actually a lot closer to 108P than people think. 1080P is 2.1 MP, 144P = 3.68MP and 4k is 8.5 MP. Current no AMD card can handle 4K well. (yes even VEGA). Wait a few months and get a Navi or grab a RTX 2080 now. Crossfire is a waste of money.

Solution