[SOLVED] Explanation for failed vbios flash?

Jul 6, 2020
So I decided to flash my vbios to push the limits a little further on my Gigabyte radeon rx 5700 xt,
I used Morepowertool, Red bios editor and amdvbflash.
The only thing I changed was the Core clock upper limit (2150>2300) TDP (225>250) and Voltage (1.2>1.25)
What changing these should do is change the max limit on for example Wattman or MSIAB not the actual values of what the card is running. So why did the flash fail/brick my gpu?
After 4.5 hours of trying to reflash it I succeded (thank god). Now I want to understand what the issue could have been.
I followed this guide https://www.igorslab.de/en/red-bios...even-more-stable-overclocking-navi-unlimited/

Solution
  • It does not matter how you dress the donkey, it would not turn it into a horse. If you are looking for an actual performance boost, I would recommend doing it with your wallet.
  • With regards to your issue, there are many things that can go wrong. The original BIOS on your card was tested 100s of hours by a whole Integration and then QA team on your GPU hardware set, while the BIOS editor software output you have used was probably never tested on your hardware by anyone but you. Read the editor software disclaimer, it is there at "I".
  • If the motives are totally enthusiastic and you have a solid understanding of how it works and tinkering consequences, I would start by checking the board hardware, so that you can find out the...
  • It does not matter how you dress the donkey, it would not turn it into a horse. If you are looking for an actual performance boost, I would recommend doing it with your wallet.
  • With regards to your issue, there are many things that can go wrong. The original BIOS on your card was tested 100s of hours by a whole Integration and then QA team on your GPU hardware set, while the BIOS editor software output you have used was probably never tested on your hardware by anyone but you. Read the editor software disclaimer, it is there at "I".
  • If the motives are totally enthusiastic and you have a solid understanding of how it works and tinkering consequences, I would start by checking the board hardware, so that you can find out the correct VRAM timings (by actual ICs used) and check with an editor against what the bios cooker supplies...

Reactions: norcalsc
Solution