Exploding CDs!?

asnorton44

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
I am just glad it did not damage any other part of my desktop. According to that Wikipedia article I am luckily I did not get hit by CD shrapnel...luckily I found the receipt and sent out an RMA request. Only had the drive since November!

D

Deleted member 217926

I had an actual music CD shatter in my hand a few years ago. It was from this Led Zeppelin 4 CD box set.

http://www.target.com/p/Led-Zeppelin-Box-Set/-/A-11594378?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM%7C11594378&CPNG=&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11594378

It says it was released in 1990 and that is probably when I bought it so it was at least 15 years old when it broke. The really bad news was I did not have it ripped and I had to buy the damn thing again. Learned my lesson with that and now I have all my CDs ripped and backed up on 4 seperate hard drives lol.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
I had the same thing happen to me with an Age of Empires CD, #2 of a 3 disc set.
I was having trouble installing and my Asus 222 burner sounded loud. After several attempts to remove the disc, including the paper clip method, I removed the drive from the computer and heard stuff shaking around in the drive. I removed the bottom and found shattered pieces of DVD looking just like yours in the picture. I dumped the pieces and searched the drive and the rest of the computer for any remaining pieces of CD and didn't find any. No way was there enough pieces left over to make an entire disc. I was told in physics class that matter can only be destroyed by turning it into energy. Where did all the pieces go?