Question Explorer crashes on start-up, computer remotely unusable

Ryanthabackpack

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
So today a cat accidentally unplugged my computer during a CS GO match, normally if something like this happens, it's a quick restart and then back into the game. This time when I restarted, my computer was unusable. I can login, but as soon as I login, nothing loads on my desktop and i can't click anything. My mouse constantly has a loading wheel next to it until my screen flashes the color of the taskbar and then the mouse with the loading icon pops back up on the screen. I couldn't do anything other than open my task manager and look at the processes. The only way i can predict that explorer is crashing is because in task manager explorer is constantly popping up and going away, along with windows problem reporting service right afterward. I tried everything in the restart diagnostics, but nothing worked. Clean resets fail at about 25-50%. SFC fails. I managed to open device manager from Run and uninstalled my diisplay drivers and that didn't work. All i could do is open Chrome and eventually write this post, which was nearly impossible to do because the explorer crash and restart cycle is in about 2 second intervals each time the desktop reappears it stops letting me type in this text box. I can't click on the start menu or anything on the task bar, not that any of the usual programs are loaded in, I just can't even click on the clock. I can't right click either.

I assume you don't have a full system backup you could restore from. If not, try booting from a repair disc. If you don't have one, you can make one another PC. If that doesn't help, try booting into Safe Mode. There are tutorials in this forum about how to get into Safe Mode if you need assistance.

Ryanthabackpack

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
I assume you don't have a full system backup you could restore from. If not, try booting from a repair disc. If you don't have one, you can make one another PC. If that doesn't help, try booting into Safe Mode. There are tutorials in this forum about how to get into Safe Mode if you need assistance.
Safe mode is completely unusable as the restart loop happens at about 10 times the rate of the issue whenever I do a normal boot.

And unfortunately you are correct, there is no system backup. I'd like to exhaust all my options before attempting to completely reformat via a disc as I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the windows key I bought from reddit a few years ago was a one time use thing and I can't really afford to buy another windows key at the moment.

Wish I would've came across your signature sooner haha

Last edited:

Ryanthabackpack

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
also worth noting the only thing i've installed since last successful restart is NordVPN

There are also about 20 processes for chrome in Task Manager if that means anything

Last edited: