Explorer.exe error

I've experienced on a friends 2000 pro machine
Explorer.exe quiting when trying to open My Computer. They
get the error that Explorer.exe has encountered a problem
and will close. I suggest that they run system file
checker to verify that explorer.exe isn't corrupt as well
as overwrite explorer.exe with a copy from another 2000
box. does this sound like sound advice or am i missing
something?

I also witnessed an issue where My compuer or any desktop
folder wouldn't open. The screen would just refresh and
nothing opened. I checked event viewer and saw the msg
that explorer.exe had encountered a problem. This was on
XP pro. Would system file checker fix this as well?

Ive never been able to fix explorer.exe by using disk check.....I just
reinstall xp b/c its easier

I usually get that kind of error from applications intergrated into the
explorer (such as keyboard logger).

Basically avoid cheap third party apps that intergrate into the explorer

"joeroc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've experienced on a friends 2000 pro machine
> Explorer.exe quiting when trying to open My Computer. They
> get the error that Explorer.exe has encountered a problem
> and will close. I suggest that they run system file
> checker to verify that explorer.exe isn't corrupt as well
> as overwrite explorer.exe with a copy from another 2000
> box. does this sound like sound advice or am i missing
> something?
>
> I also witnessed an issue where My compuer or any desktop
> folder wouldn't open. The screen would just refresh and
> nothing opened. I checked event viewer and saw the msg
> that explorer.exe had encountered a problem. This was on
> XP pro. Would system file checker fix this as well?

Thanks for the response

TRENDING THREADS