explorer.exe freezes on startup

flux

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2003

Just in the last couple of weeks when I startup my machine, explorer
sometimes freezes up and I have to end the explorer.exe process via
task manager and restart explorer for normal opperation.

When it happens(50% of the time), the desktop and it's icons appear,
then the taskbar starts to load and seems to hang, the start button is
grey and no icons appear in the notification area(systray) - hourglass
appears on hover over the taskbar. Tasks manager looks pretty normal,
no high CPU usage and all background applications seem to have
started, just no icons in the systray.

I have scoured google and this forum, but was unable to find a
solution.

Any help would be appreciatecd.

I posted this 6hrs ago, and it never showed up, so I am trying again,
sorry if it's a duplicate. Waited another 4, trying again...

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Flux wrote:

> Just in the last couple of weeks when I startup my machine, explorer
> sometimes freezes up and I have to end the explorer.exe process via
> task manager and restart explorer for normal opperation.
>
> When it happens(50% of the time), the desktop and it's icons appear,
> then the taskbar starts to load and seems to hang, the start button is
> grey and no icons appear in the notification area(systray) - hourglass
> appears on hover over the taskbar. Tasks manager looks pretty normal,
> no high CPU usage and all background applications seem to have
> started, just no icons in the systray.
>
> I have scoured google and this forum, but was unable to find a
> solution.
>
> Any help would be appreciatecd.
>
> I posted this 6hrs ago, and it never showed up, so I am trying again,
> sorry if it's a duplicate. Waited another 4, trying again...

Try some clean boot troubleshooting:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Rock" wrote:

>Try some clean boot troubleshooting:
>How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560
>
>How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

I have the SAME problem, but i run Win2000.
Do you know what can i do?

thx..

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-explorer.exe-freezes-startup-ftopict550206.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1756346

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

maolu wrote:
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>>Try some clean boot troubleshooting:
>>How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560
>>
>>How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434
>>

> I have the SAME problem, but i run Win2000.
> Do you know what can i do?
>
> thx..

Post to a win2k group. Here is a list of all MS newsgroups:
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm. Give a complete and concise description of
the problem, the system configuration and any troubleshooting steps
you've taken.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

lwhitcomb1964

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Very well written! I'm sure this exact thing happened to me after updating internet explorer! I'm using windows xp Home! I don't think it matter what version of windows you are using! In the task manager the explorer.exe was running mad! So I'm sure it was due to last update!

john1123

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Thats why i always turn off windows automatic updates.

May be you system is running too many processes.or could be due to insufficient virtual memory.