[SOLVED] Explorer.exe is buggy.

Aug 9, 2021
Hello. I have a recently built system and I have used it for over a week already. Now, explorer.exe is slow (specifically to my E: drive which is a 1 TB HDD), it keeps loading and it will take forever. Also, when I open file explorer, it will sometimes display "working on it".

At first I thought it was just the age of the HDD but when it started to show the "working on it" symptom, I immediately think its a problem with the file explorer. I am using the latest version of Windows 10.

Storage Specs:
NVME m.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus
WD Green 240GB SATA SSD
Toshiba P3000 1TB 7200RPM
WDC WD10EZEX-19ZF5A0 7200RPM

PC Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 (w/ Cooler Master ML120L RGB V2)
Corsair Vengeance Pro SL RGB 16 Gb (2x8) 3200Mhz
Gigabyte RX 570 4Gb
Redragon RGPS GC-PS002 600W Gaming PC Power Supply

Solution
D
If it happens again have your data backed up and reinstall windows clean and I mean delete all the partitions on the drive and then install windows
Hello. I have a recently built system and I have used it for over a week already. Now, explorer.exe is slow (specifically to my E: drive which is a 1 TB HDD), it keeps loading and it will take forever. Also, when I open file explorer, it will sometimes display "working on it".

At first I thought it was just the age of the HDD but when it started to show the "working on it" symptom, I immediately think its a problem with the file explorer. I am using the latest version of Windows 10.

Storage Specs:
NVME m.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus
WD Green 240GB SATA SSD
Toshiba P3000 1TB 7200RPM
WDC WD10EZEX-19ZF5A0 7200RPM

PC Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 (w/ Cooler Master ML120L RGB V2)
Corsair Vengeance Pro SL RGB 16 Gb (2x8) 3200Mhz
Gigabyte RX 570 4Gb
Redragon RGPS GC-PS002 600W Gaming PC Power Supply
Did you check HDD health ?

Aug 9, 2021
Did you check HDD health ?

All have good health on CrystalDiskInfo. I can say its a explorer problem since my OS is on the NVME drive and it slows the search (In "This Pc" and "Quick Access"). I have just reformatted it and its okay for now.

Your hard drive is failing there’s no problem with explorer

Drive is in good health. It was just so sudden. And yes, I still think it was an explorer problem since it even slows down my OS when I search for files or the usual loading the file explorer.
You can try different SATA port and/or cable, but, spinning drives often give symptoms exactly like you are seeing when failing...

Tried changing and reinserting SATA ports/cables. Still didn't fix the problem that time.

Aug 9, 2021
NVME m.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus (Brand new, very slow in quick access or this pc hence the "working on it")
WD Green 240GB SATA SSD (relatively new, no issues)
Toshiba P3000 1TB 7200RPM (Gets affected, when I try to mess with the files in the oldest drive (drive E), specifically all folder and file icons thumbnails would go blank)
WDC WD10EZEX-19ZF5A0 7200RPM (Drive E:. Slow loading progress. In the chance it was fast or "normal", I would try moving 1 file from folder to folder to reproduce it again and it would affect my Toshiba drive).

Even though I fixed it for the mean time (lets hope it will be permanent) I am still high that it was a explorer issue since it was slow in searching my whole pc (which required the power of my SSD, but still, very slow.) and sometimes just gets locked in the "working on it" message when I open This PC or Quick Access

D

Deleted member 14196

If it happens again have your data backed up and reinstall windows clean and I mean delete all the partitions on the drive and then install windows

Solution