ToxicThing

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2015
Okay, I've been having this problem for a while now. I don't know when it started exactly, but it's very frustrating. The thing is, when I log-in into my account, I get black screen and cmd open. I type "exit" into cmd, then ctrl+alt+del and get into task manager. From there, I manually open explorer.exe. I tried every solution I could find on the web, such as putting explorer.exe into start-up folder etc but nothing worked. The problem is very annoying and consumes time every time I turn the PC on. Could you please provide some answers/solutions?

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Have you tried running an SFC scan?

"Click "File," hover over "Open command prompt," then select "Open command prompt as administrator." Once the command prompt opens, type "sfc /scannow" and press "Enter." This process may also take some time, but when it is complete, it will display whether it found any corrupt files, what they were, and whether they were able to be repaired or not. After the scan, restart your computer and attempt to use it normally."

It sounds like a clean install of windows would definitely fix the problem. So if you're tired of troubleshooting, i'd just do that.

ToxicThing

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2015
Have you tried running an SFC scan?

"Click "File," hover over "Open command prompt," then select "Open command prompt as administrator." Once the command prompt opens, type "sfc /scannow" and press "Enter." This process may also take some time, but when it is complete, it will display whether it found any corrupt files, what they were, and whether they were able to be repaired or not. After the scan, restart your computer and attempt to use it normally."

It sounds like a clean install of windows would definitely fix the problem. So if you're tired of troubleshooting, i'd just do that.
Yea, I think I tried that already, but will do it one more time. I am also pretty sure that clean install of windows would fix the problem, but that would be my last option since I got so many files right now... Thank you for your answer!

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Yea, I think I tried that already, but will do it one more time. I am also pretty sure that clean install of windows would fix the problem, but that would be my last option since I got so many files right now... Thank you for your answer!
I get it, clean installs suck.

If you're running windows 10, there's an options to keep your files(data, not programs) when you reset but its not quite a 'clean install' . You could try that if you don't have any means of backing up the data.

This issue may occur if the system is having an error that affects the boot sequence.
If you can boot into Windows 10, open the new Settings app (the cog icon in the Start menu), then click on Update & Security. Click on Recovery, and then you can use the 'Reset this PC' option. This will give you the choice of whether to keep your files and programs or not.