Explorer.exe restarts periodically and crashes

muFFlyx

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Hello!

I've been recently having a problem with the Explorer process in Windows 10. Every now and then, explorer.exe restarts itself, and the taskbar and desktop flash before going back to normal. Usually this happens upon performing a task, such as opening or closing a window, deleting a file, etc.

A certain case always results in the Explorer process becoming unresponsive, and that's when I open an image, whether it be in Windows Photo Viewer, the Photos app, or whatever. When I open it, I can't click anything in the taskbar (they don't become highlighted when I hover over them either), and the desktop is the same. I have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to open Task Manager every time so I can restart Explorer.

(Edit: an explorer.exe restart also occurs every single time I create a new folder on the desktop or anywhere else.)

I've tried most, if not every method I could find by Googling it, including deleting a registry subkey, doing a clean boot, and performing a system restore to a point before an update a few days ago. Nothing seemed to work or help.

If anyone out there could assist me in this issue, I would be more than grateful.

Thanks!

muFFlyx

Reputable
May 19, 2015

I did a full virus scan with Avast and it did find some adware (and removed it), but the problem persisted. Thanks for the help anyway!

saadqureshi

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016
Try scanning again with your OS update turn on OR You should re-install the OS and download fresh antivirus (Do not open any other drive and do not use flash drive only fresh download from official site). If your PC require Ethernet or Wifi drivers install it by official disk do not open any other drive except C:\ or where OS is installed. It is possible that virus has corrupted the explorer.exe. If you don't have official OS disk or don't have official key of OS i will not recommend you to re-install then it is your best option to re-scan the system while OS update is ON.
Hope it will help you.

muFFlyx

Reputable
May 19, 2015

Unfortunately, these didn't work. I had already done the sfc /scannow, and the second set of commands didn't work either.

I'm kind of not wanting to reinstall Windows as a solution, which is partly why I came here. What do you mean by rescanning with OS update turned on?

muFFlyx

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Okay, so the situation is a lot worse than I thought it was. Every time I access a file, explorer either crashes and hangs, or restarts. Also, whenever I open File Explorer and click a location in the left panel (Quick Access, This PC, etc.), it opens in a new window.

I've tried virtually every solution that I could find by searching Google, yet nothing has affected the problem at all.

I'm really in need of some help here. My computer is beginning to become unusable.

TRENDING THREADS