Explorer.exe seems to hang after login (getting desperate)

SR

I am running XP Pro SP2 with latest updates.

I rebooted this morning and after rebooting, after the login (I have
auto login from tweak UI XP enabled) it just hangs. I can Ctrl+Alt+Del
and open a program but it does not seem to want to load the desktop.

After a while it sems to partially load the desktop but it's very
unresponsive, and when I can get the startmenu to come up it freezes
after I starting going through the Programs tree.

I can get into Safemode just fine. I ran spybot and some virus scanners,
I tried disabling all non essential startup and service items, but this
problem still persists.

What could cause this and how to fix this?

The only thing that changed on my ssytem recently was the addition of an
ATI TV Wonder Pro.

SR

SR wrote:
> I am running XP Pro SP2 with latest updates.
>
> I rebooted this morning and after rebooting, after the login (I have
> auto login from tweak UI XP enabled) it just hangs. I can Ctrl+Alt+Del
> and open a program but it does not seem to want to load the desktop.
>
> After a while it sems to partially load the desktop but it's very
> unresponsive, and when I can get the startmenu to come up it freezes
> after I starting going through the Programs tree.
>
> I can get into Safemode just fine. I ran spybot and some virus
> scanners, I tried disabling all non essential startup and service
> items, but this problem still persists.
>
> What could cause this and how to fix this?

Solved!

If anyone is wondering, this can be caused by a bad "ObjectName" key
value in the registery for the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs

Make sure "ObjectName" = "LocalSystem"

Hope that helps someone out there :)

Thank god you wrote that message... and just in the nick of time. I
reinstalled my OS from the manufacturer CDs, and then installed a bunch
of software and tweaked a bunch of stuff (regedit / tweakUI / etc).
Afterwards when I would boot, the system would go to the login screen,
and then after I logged in it would put up the background I chose
earlier, and just hang.

Nothing would work, CTRL-ALT-DEL wouldn't do anything. Funny enough, I
found if I pressed the ESC key (escape key) than I would suddenly get an
hourglass and the desktop would come up. I also later found that if I
unplugged the network cable, the system would come up fine during boot,
without the post-login hang. Finally found this message, and checked my
registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs
ObjectName = "NT Authority\NetworkService"

Interseting, wonder where and when this gets set... I change it to
"LocalSystem" like you said, and booyaa, it now works just fine.

Thanks for the help.

(also then searched the net and found:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=34&threadid=1570038&enterthread=y,
and http://leoville.tv/radio/pmwiki.php/ShowNotes/Show135)

--
tgurantz
tgurantz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5691

Constance

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Thank you, thank you, thank you. This was happening on a client's computer and I was beside myself with frustration. That single registry change fixed the problem. SP2 was long installed so it looks like it had something to do with another Windows update or the spyware that was on the system. Thanks again!