Question explorer.exe (Windows Explorer ) randomly taking up lots of CPU every few seconds.

Nov 19, 2021
Hi all,

I have had this issue for quite a while now where Windows Explorer jumps to high CPU usage multiple times per minute at what seems like random. I have ran multiple virus scans and tried different solutions from online, but it seems no one really has the same problem as me. It is irritating and decreases my computer performance, especially playing games and frames dramatically drop when my CPU is at such a high usage.

Nov 19, 2021
look in eventviewer, something might be crashing
I looked at event viewer and it seems to me like nothing there has to do with my issue. Windows Explorer seems to be jumping up multiple times per minute before going back down, and there are no issues I am seeing in the EV that are happening so frequently.
One thing I will add is that I repair upgraded windows and the problem persisted. Maybe that could lead us to an answer?

Hi all,

I have had this issue for quite a while now where Windows Explorer jumps to high CPU usage multiple times per minute at what seems like random. I have ran multiple virus scans and tried different solutions from online, but it seems no one really has the same problem as me. It is irritating and decreases my computer performance, especially playing games and frames dramatically drop when my CPU is at such a high usage.
Disable the sysmain service...test

Check indexer activity

I did, but I tried turning it off + restarting and it didn't do anything.

Once you've tried everything...clean install Windows is oftentimes necessary to get rid of the creeping crud left behind from old and poorly uninstalled drivers, apps, games, updates and OS crashes.

EDIT added: oh yeah. Windows update might be downloading and installing updates...or trying to but it keeps getting interrupted. Type UPDATES in Cortana and check on it. Just let it clear up any backlog by downloading and installing everything if you see a list of updates pending. It can take a while if you've never done this.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021
Check indexer activity

Once you've tried everything...clean install Windows is oftentimes necessary to get rid of the creeping crud left behind from old and poorly uninstalled drivers, apps, games, updates and OS crashes.

EDIT added: oh yeah. Windows update might be downloading and installing updates...or trying to but it keeps getting interrupted. Type UPDATES in Cortana and check on it. Just let it clear up any backlog by downloading and installing everything if you see a list of updates pending. It can take a while if you've never done this.

Yeah... I feel like I have tried everything since I didn't want to have to reset it. I repair installed Windows and it did not work so I assume the issue is caused by a certain application, so a factory reset may fix it. I am still trying to find any possible solution though.