Explorer Sidebar not displaying previews for certain file ..

Scott

For some reason XP Pro (sp2 with all the updates) has topped showing
previews for some of my files (.jpg, .gif, .mpg, .avi, .wav and a few
others) on the sidebar in the left of Explorer windows.Oddly enough .bmp
and .pdf files show up just fine. The effected files still open up just
fine (image files in the Picture and Fax Viewer, audio and video in Media
Player) but the previews are gone. The file details themselves still show
up though. Anyone have any ideas? I reinstalled Windows (with the Repair
option) but that didn't seem to fix it. I even tried the xp registry fixes
that reset the file associations. Didn't help at all.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

--
Scott

Scott,

Type in Run:

regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Scott" <scottm9000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> For some reason XP Pro (sp2 with all the updates) has topped showing
> previews for some of my files (.jpg, .gif, .mpg, .avi, .wav and a few
> others) on the sidebar in the left of Explorer windows.Oddly enough .bmp
> and .pdf files show up just fine. The effected files still open up just
> fine (image files in the Picture and Fax Viewer, audio and video in Media
> Player) but the previews are gone. The file details themselves still show
> up though. Anyone have any ideas? I reinstalled Windows (with the Repair
> option) but that didn't seem to fix it. I even tried the xp registry fixes
> that reset the file associations. Didn't help at all.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Scott
>
> --
> Scott

Scott

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:42:32 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org>
wrote:

>Scott,
>
>Type in Run:
>
>regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

Ramesh,

I did and it seems to have fixed things...I think. Is the preview in the
sidebar dependent on the current folder view? I noticed the preview shows
up just fine now if the folder is set to anything besides Thumbnail or
Filmstrip. In either of those 2 views it only shows the details of the file
in the sidebar sans preview. Just want to make sure that's normal xp
behavior.

Thanks by the way!
Scott

--
Scott

Scott,

Yes, as you stated. That's the normal behavior when you switch to Thumbnail
or Filmstrip view.

--

> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:42:32 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Scott,
>>
>>Type in Run:
>>
>>regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
>>
> Ramesh,
>
> I did and it seems to have fixed things...I think. Is the preview in the
> sidebar dependent on the current folder view? I noticed the preview shows
> up just fine now if the folder is set to anything besides Thumbnail or
> Filmstrip. In either of those 2 views it only shows the details of the
> file
> in the sidebar sans preview. Just want to make sure that's normal xp
> behavior.
>
> Thanks by the way!
> Scott
>
> --
> Scott

Scott

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:42:48 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org>
wrote:

>Scott,
>
>Yes, as you stated. That's the normal behavior when you switch to Thumbnail
>or Filmstrip view.

Thanks Ramesh. I thought that's what should happen but thought I'd
double-check.

--
Scott

You're welcome Scott.

--

> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:42:48 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Scott,
>>
>>Yes, as you stated. That's the normal behavior when you switch to
>>Thumbnail
>>or Filmstrip view.
>>
> Thanks Ramesh. I thought that's what should happen but thought I'd
> double-check.
>
> --
> Scott

TRENDING THREADS