Explorer slows to a crawl

Not really the right group, but you chaps are very kind. Suddenly all my
Explorer windows take 10-20secs. to respond and don't refresh properly. I
can see the phrase "load:com.ms.activex.ActiveXcomponent" in the lower
border window (what would be the URL bar in IE) which I've never seen
before. The computer's all but unusable. Help?

Spyware, a trojan, malware or some other varmint in your system? Try the
Micro$oft spoyware removal software, Ad-Aware and Spybot all three to get rid of
whatever it is... Ben Myers

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:22:30 -0000, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Not really the right group, but you chaps are very kind. Suddenly all my
>Explorer windows take 10-20secs. to respond and don't refresh properly. I
>can see the phrase "load:com.ms.activex.ActiveXcomponent" in the lower
>border window (what would be the URL bar in IE) which I've never seen
>before. The computer's all but unusable. Help?

No, removed a few diallers, etc. Still there. Everything else is OK, just
Explorer.
> Spyware, a trojan, malware or some other varmint in your system? Try the
> Micro$oft spoyware removal software, Ad-Aware and Spybot all three to get
rid of
> whatever it is... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:22:30 -0000, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> >Not really the right group, but you chaps are very kind. Suddenly all my
> >Explorer windows take 10-20secs. to respond and don't refresh properly. I
> >can see the phrase "load:com.ms.activex.ActiveXcomponent" in the lower
> >border window (what would be the URL bar in IE) which I've never seen
> >before. The computer's all but unusable. Help?

How old is the system? Which OS are you running? If you are running 2000 or
XP, how about doing a complete Disk Cleanup, AND deleting all the garbage that
shows up in the %temp% folder?

This is Explorer, not Internet Explorer, that is SLOOOOW ? ... Ben Myers

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:39:39 -0000, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote:

>No, removed a few diallers, etc. Still there. Everything else is OK, just
>Explorer.
>> Spyware, a trojan, malware or some other varmint in your system? Try the
>> Micro$oft spoyware removal software, Ad-Aware and Spybot all three to get
>rid of
>> whatever it is... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:22:30 -0000, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>>
>> >Not really the right group, but you chaps are very kind. Suddenly all my
>> >Explorer windows take 10-20secs. to respond and don't refresh properly. I
>> >can see the phrase "load:com.ms.activex.ActiveXcomponent" in the lower
>> >border window (what would be the URL bar in IE) which I've never seen
>> >before. The computer's all but unusable. Help?

Win98SE. P5-133
> How old is the system? Which OS are you running? If you are running 2000
or
> XP, how about doing a complete Disk Cleanup, AND deleting all the garbage
that
> shows up in the %temp% folder?
>
> This is Explorer, not Internet Explorer, that is SLOOOOW ? ... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:39:39 -0000, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> >No, removed a few diallers, etc. Still there. Everything else is OK, just
> >Explorer.
> ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> >> Spyware, a trojan, malware or some other varmint in your system? Try
the
> >> Micro$oft spoyware removal software, Ad-Aware and Spybot all three to
get
> >rid of
> >> whatever it is... Ben Myers
> >>
> >> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:22:30 -0000, "Mark Dunn"
<markrhdunn@hotmail.com>

Sorry, yes. Explorer. IE is fine. Can't click between folders without
waiting an age.
"Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Win98SE. P5-133
> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> > How old is the system? Which OS are you running? If you are running
2000
> or
> > XP, how about doing a complete Disk Cleanup, AND deleting all the
garbage
> that
> > shows up in the %temp% folder?
> >
> > This is Explorer, not Internet Explorer, that is SLOOOOW ? ... Ben Myers
> >
> > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:39:39 -0000, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > >No, removed a few diallers, etc. Still there. Everything else is OK,
just
> > >Explorer.
> > ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> the
> get
> > >rid of

> <markrhdunn@hotmail.com>

> my
> properly. I

Explorer has always given me fits. On my old Win 98 system it sometimes
crashes and loses the icons on the taskbar and if I try to create a new
folder in it, it freezes up. (However, I can create a new folder in the Open
or Save as dialogue boxes, go figure.) On my XP laptop, it crashes every
once in a while when I try to open it up. Since I have had no luck in
finding a cure for these problems, I have solved it by using 2X Explorer Z1,
it's free at http://www.netez.com/2xExplorer/ and doesn't have these
annoyances. It also has two panels--like having two instances of Explorer
open in one window.

In news:39dtfhF5tpsjuU1@individual.net,
Mark Dunn <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> stated
| Sorry, yes. Explorer. IE is fine. Can't click between folders without
| waiting an age.
| "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message

If you're certain you have no malware on the system - and make sure
you've followed your antivirus/antispyware provider's recommendations
exactly, to remove anything you did find, two suggestions:

Try the Winsock Fixer (it's for all versions of Windows, not just XP,
despite the name).

Also download the manufacturer's test utility and test the hard drive
thoroughly - it may be a sign the drive is failing.

Mark Dunn wrote:
> Sorry, yes. Explorer. IE is fine. Can't click between folders without
> waiting an age.
> "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Win98SE. P5-133
>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>>
>>>How old is the system? Which OS are you running? If you are running

I concur with Edward. The system is old enough that the drive may be failing.
The drive is probably a Western Digital. Go to the WD web site, download the WD
diagnostic software, create a diskette and run the diagnostics. If the drive
is shown to be failing or if it has even one bad sector, replace it... Ben Myers

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:56:26 -0000, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Sorry, yes. Explorer. IE is fine. Can't click between folders without
>waiting an age.
>"Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Win98SE. P5-133
>> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>> > How old is the system? Which OS are you running? If you are running
>2000
>> or
>> > XP, how about doing a complete Disk Cleanup, AND deleting all the
>garbage
>> that
>> > shows up in the %temp% folder?
>> >
>> > This is Explorer, not Internet Explorer, that is SLOOOOW ? ... Ben Myers

>just
>> the
>> get

>> <markrhdunn@hotmail.com>

>all
>> my
>> properly. I
>lower
>seen

Fujitsu drive passed the diagnostic. I even did a format/clean reinstall,
but that "load:com.ms.activex.activex.component" is still running before
every mouse click in Explorer.
> I concur with Edward. The system is old enough that the drive may be
failing.
> The drive is probably a Western Digital. Go to the WD web site, download
the WD
> diagnostic software, create a diskette and run the diagnostics. If the
drive
> is shown to be failing or if it has even one bad sector, replace it... Ben
Myers

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:56:26 -0000, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> >Sorry, yes. Explorer. IE is fine. Can't click between folders without
> >waiting an age.
> >"Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Win98SE. P5-133
> >> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> >2000
> >> or
> >garbage
> >> that

Myers

<markrhdunn@hotmail.com>

> >just
Try
> >> the
> >> get

> >> <markrhdunn@hotmail.com>

> >all
> >> my
> >> properly. I
> >lower
> >seen

What model Fujitsu is it?

Mark Dunn wrote:
> Fujitsu drive passed the diagnostic. I even did a format/clean reinstall,
> but that "load:com.ms.activex.activex.component" is still running before
> every mouse click in Explorer.

MPC3064AT 6.4GB
"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> What model Fujitsu is it?
>

> Mark Dunn wrote:
> > Fujitsu drive passed the diagnostic. I even did a format/clean
reinstall,
> > but that "load:com.ms.activex.activex.component" is still running before
> > every mouse click in Explorer.

Thanks all- I did have a virus, Redlof A, found only by Startup Inspector
and cleaned for free by Solo. Sorry to waste your time.
> MPC3064AT 6.4GB
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > What model Fujitsu is it?
> >

> > Mark Dunn wrote:
> > > Fujitsu drive passed the diagnostic. I even did a format/clean
> reinstall,
> > > but that "load:com.ms.activex.activex.component" is still running
before
> > > every mouse click in Explorer.

When a virus or worm is suspected, and there is the possibility of it inhabiting
one of the boot-oriented sectors, it is best to wipe the drive clean using the
drive mfr's utilities, AUTOCLAVE, or IBM's WIPE program. Actually, it is
necessary to blow away only the MBR, partition table, and a few of the other
sectors early on in the hard drive layout.

In other words, a re-partition and re-format will not take care of this sort of
problem, as the OP found out... Ben Myers