Explorer windows open as search

Anyone know how I can stop Windows explorer opening folders in the right
hand pane as a search folder?
I used to be able to have the tree directory in the left hand panel and in
the right hand when I double clicked on the folder, it would open. Now it
goes to search. If I right click, Search is in bold and at the top of the
list

TIA

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321186

"olympus" <olympus@nononannettenospam.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know how I can stop Windows explorer opening folders in the right
> hand pane as a search folder?
> I used to be able to have the tree directory in the left hand panel and in
> the right hand when I double clicked on the folder, it would open. Now it
> goes to search. If I right click, Search is in bold and at the top of the
> list
>
> TIA

Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321186

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"olympus" wrote:

| Anyone know how I can stop Windows explorer opening folders in the right
| hand pane as a search folder?
| I used to be able to have the tree directory in the left hand panel and in
| the right hand when I double clicked on the folder, it would open. Now it
| goes to search. If I right click, Search is in bold and at the top of the
| list
|
| TIA

Hi

Please see the following link to Kelly's web site:

Line 18 - right hand side

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"olympus" <olympus@nononannettenospam.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know how I can stop Windows explorer opening folders in the right
> hand pane as a search folder?
> I used to be able to have the tree directory in the left hand panel and in
> the right hand when I double clicked on the folder, it would open. Now it
> goes to search. If I right click, Search is in bold and at the top of the
> list
>
> TIA

This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
feature for folders. (example)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

Resolution:

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
(Tip from David Candy)

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

-or-

To fix this manually via registry:

If this problem is seen for Drives:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
Set (default) to "none" (without ")

If this problem is seen for folders:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
Set (default) to "none" (without ")

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"olympus" <olympus@nononannettenospam.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know how I can stop Windows explorer opening folders in the right
> hand pane as a search folder?
> I used to be able to have the tree directory in the left hand panel and in
> the right hand when I double clicked on the folder, it would open. Now it
> goes to search. If I right click, Search is in bold and at the top of the
> list
>
> TIA

Thanks all, that sorted it!

> This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries
> via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
> feature for folders. (example)
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
>
> Resolution:
>
> Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
> (Tip from David Candy)
>
> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
>
> -or-
>
> To fix this manually via registry:
>
> If this problem is seen for Drives:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
> Set (default) to "none" (without ")
>
> If this problem is seen for folders:
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
> Set (default) to "none" (without ")
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>

> "olympus" <olympus@nononannettenospam.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone know how I can stop Windows explorer opening folders in the right
>> hand pane as a search folder?
>> I used to be able to have the tree directory in the left hand panel and
>> in the right hand when I double clicked on the folder, it would open. Now
>> it goes to search. If I right click, Search is in bold and at the top of
>> the list
>>
>> TIA

TRENDING THREADS