Question Ext hard drive issues - Mac to Win10

Didntchaknow

Reputable
Jun 13, 2019
Good afternoon!
Just finished my first build, which is functioning swimmingly (knock on wood) so I decided I'd try to put some of the data from my old comp onto this new one.
I'm running Windows 10 vs my old Mac 10.7.5.
The device I'm using to store the old data is a Toshiba 1tb external hard drive.
The main issue is that the hard drive won't show up in file explorer: I can see it in device manager and settings and such but I cant access any of the data because it doesn't appear in the "this PC" tab.
I've tried the fixes I could find, including trying to use command prompt to assign the volume a letter (it won't show up in the command prompt window as an existing volume, strangely) but so far nothing has worked as far as I can tell.
One thing that seems unique to my issue that I couldnt find addressed in any of the troubleshooting I found is that on the disk management page the hard drive I'm using appears as: (disk 2 partition 1) and (disk 2 partition 2)
Neither will allow my to take any actions when right clicked.
Neither of these appear as RAW.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Didntchaknow

Reputable
Jun 13, 2019
What is the drive formatted in?
I believe exfat is needed for both windows and mac to be able to read it.

It worked on my Mac without hassle, but I don't know for sure what the formatting is. I probably won't be able to reformat it because that will delete all of the data on the drive. The two parts that make up the file (labeled (disk 2 partition 1) and (disk 2 partition 2)) are marked as EFI system partition and primary partition respectively, if that helps.
EDIT: as far as I can tell it's formatted as FAT32

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS