[SOLVED] Extend Smart TV (Android) Internal Storage

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

I have a recent Sony Bravia 4K Smart TV (Android) and it’s only got a uselessly tiny 4GB Internal Storage. I’ve heard that you can use an external drive to semi-permanently ‘extend’ the size of the ‘internal’ storage for the TV.

This is the main thing I want to focus on, but also as an aside I mention the idea of adding a second drive further down below…

I want to find out what Minimum Size, Minimum RPM (eg 5400, 7200) and Minimum Speed/Type of drive (eg Ext HDD, Internal HDD in an enclosure, SSD, M.2 Sata or M.2 PCIE 3.0 OR CPIE 4.0 in an enclosure) you would recommend I’d need for this – keeping in mind it’s streaming a lot of 4K from the apps etc?

I’m not planning on storing video or photos or anything on it – just use it for the internal software/apps etc. Should you make sure it has 25-50-% free to keep it working fast or makes no difference? I plan to watch my movies etc streamed from my PC via HDMI instead.

I’m told you could use just about any kind of drive even if normally internal – and that almost everything should run off USB 3.0 bus power? That sound right? Even for an Internal HDD in an enclosure/dock?

I was just thinking of getting something pretty small eg 50-250GB or maybe even 1TB with an internal in a dock?

BTW There is only 2x USB’s on this TV… one is 3.0 and the other I think is only 2.0.

If for some reason I needed to go back to watching my MKV’s etc via a second external/internal drive plugged into the TV – should I make sure the ‘extended’ internal storage for the system is always on the USB 3.0? Or is that totally unnecessary – and it would make more sense to use that speed for the very large mkvs on the second drive (eg 80+ gb 4K files?

So what do you think?

Thanks for your help

Solution
Another thought is that "Storage" may not be the directly applicable category for the matter at hand.

Smart TV:

Maybe Home Audio or Consumer Electronics could be more fitting to learn what other people are doing for their setups.

Will leave the the thread here for the time being - there are some really good "Storage" members who may read your thread.

One of them may offer other ideas and suggestions.

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021

Ralston18

Titan
Another thought is that "Storage" may not be the directly applicable category for the matter at hand.

Smart TV:

Maybe Home Audio or Consumer Electronics could be more fitting to learn what other people are doing for their setups.

Will leave the the thread here for the time being - there are some really good "Storage" members who may read your thread.

One of them may offer other ideas and suggestions.

Solution

Latest posts