[SOLVED] Extended storage server setup suggestion?

May 26, 2020
Hear ye, hear ye,
I ask you all, great wizards of wise of "tom's Hardware", what would ye suggest for my current predicament?

For I quest for an alternative to filling my current computer with yet more ssd/hdd's, but still continue to add more storage space. An idea came to me in dead of night, would running a server (on an older, but reliable computer), with an arrangement of perhaps cheap hdds, be reliable but cheap like way of extending my computers storage space. All of this is with the hope of being able to run games off this server (as in access the data to run the games).

Is my quest a folly? Would bandwidth limit me before is even tried to set it up? Have i been but a fool chasing an impossible dream? Tell me great wizards, for my knowledge is but short in this area and your expertise have saved me many a time before!

(i also have a small network switch so i can attach the internet and local intranet via the same ethernet port)

Solution
No running games and most programs over the network will not work well at all.

You can keep normal files on network storage or external drives, but install programs on the drives in the computer.

USAFRet

Titan
Hear ye, hear ye,
I ask you all, great wizards of wise of "tom's Hardware", what would ye suggest for my current predicament?

For I quest for an alternative to filling my current computer with yet more ssd/hdd's, but still continue to add more storage space. An idea came to me in dead of night, would running a server (on an older, but reliable computer), with an arrangement of perhaps cheap hdds, be reliable but cheap like way of extending my computers storage space. All of this is with the hope of being able to run games off this server (as in access the data to run the games).

Is my quest a folly? Would bandwidth limit me before is even tried to set it up? Have i been but a fool chasing an impossible dream? Tell me great wizards, for my knowledge is but short in this area and your expertise have saved me many a time before!

(i also have a small network switch so i can attach the internet and local intranet via the same ethernet port)
I've tried installing and playing Steam games from my NAS once, across the house LAN. Performance was less than acceptable, to put it mildly.