Extending a 3-pin addressable RGB cable

mihailt

Reputable
Dec 7, 2017
Hey fellas,

I've run into a weird problem during the final stages of my new build.

First of all, I've got an addressable RGB strip, which uses a 3-pin connector (illustrated here). The problem is that the cable provided with the kit is only 5cm, which is too short for where I need my strip to start, when connected to either of my 3-pin RGB headers on the Aorus H370 Gaming 3 WiFi motherboard.

So, basically I need an extension for the 3-pin RGB (or DRGB as I've seen them listed) cable. However, the only thing I'm able to find is this splitter cable from Phanteks, which technically would work, but I only see it in NewEgg and international shipping would come to about 30 times its cost, so it's not an option obviously.

I was wondering if a simple 3-pin extension cable for a case fan (such as this one from NZXT) wouldn't do the trick if the spacing between the individual pins is the same? And obviously, checking carefully which cable goes for 5v, Data and Ground... The last option I see available is to actually cut the original cable and extend it with three wires + soldering, heat shrink tubing, etc.

As far as I could research, there aren't 3-pin RGB strip cables in my local hardware stores...

What would you advise me here?

P.S. I actually built the system yesterday and everything else works like a charm, btw, so this is just the finishing touch.

Solution
I would think that would be fine. I don't think there is any particular need for shielding since it is just voltage control.

The connectors might not match pitch wise, but you can always pull the pins/sockets out of the fan connectors and wrap them in electrical tape.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would think that would be fine. I don't think there is any particular need for shielding since it is just voltage control.

The connectors might not match pitch wise, but you can always pull the pins/sockets out of the fan connectors and wrap them in electrical tape.

Solution

mihailt

Reputable
Dec 7, 2017
Hi Eximo,

The 3-pin extender for a case fan actually worked okay.

Had to do some work with a pair of cutters as the plastic couplings of the two sides weren't an exact fit, but other than that - it's the easiest route if one can't find a dedicated DRGB 3-pin extender.

Thanks again for your help!