Extending a LAN without cabling

renegadete

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
So this is a long winded question, and i'm sorry in advance.

Currently, I live in a 2-storey house. On one side of the house, top floor, is the modem router. This is a Netgear D6300 running in simultaneous dual band (I have 802.11ac compatible devices). On the other side of my house, bottom floor, is my room. This gap is a fairly large distance of 20m (give or take) and consists of multiple double brick walls in the way.

Because of the distance and the double bricked walls, I am not able to run any cables. Moving the modem/router is out of the question as our whole network is built around this setup.

As it is, I currently have a wireless extender above my room on the top floor, but because my laptop connects to the extender via wireless, the signal is slow and unreliable.

I.e. Modem/Router -----wireless-----> wireless extender -----wireless-----> my laptop

So here's a rough diagram:

|--------------------------------------------------------------|
| Extender...................................................Router| 1st

| My room...............................................................| Ground

(don't mind the dots, theyre just for spacing)

The house has 3 phase power and as luck would have it, the circuit next to the router is in no way close to the one in my room, so a Ethernet over Power kit is out of the question.

The only glimmer of hope I have is a phone line terminates in my room. But still, it's not like I can run 2 modems at once for the same account (or can I?).

If it's at all important, I am a Telstra subscriber.

I would like to be able to have a stable and fast enough connection to play games (although i'm slowly giving up hope)...

Can anyone out there give me any ideas with a slim chance of working?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Added the pretty drawing

Get another Wireless AC Router and put it on the ground floor under the main router/modem that is on the first floor , meaning diagonally opposite to where your extender is now.
Or you can try and move the extender to that position first and see if it works better. Plus you may not need that much of cabling to be done either.

You can also solve all your problems by buying a set of powerline adapters and have the whole house networked without any cabling altogether, meaning, you'll have WiFi or/and Wired LAN at every electrical outlet in the house, if you want it.
HP-5102-Diagram.jpg

Or

1346329039_w670_h351.png

As you have found the repeaters work but they tend to be inconsistent but when you have no other option it is better than no connection.

The standard second solution is powerline. These like wireless may or may not work in every house. If they do they tend to be better than wireless. Even if you have 3 phase power which would be really rare in a house powerline may still work. Pretty much the only way to find out is to try it.

The telephone line is going to depend on the wire and where it actually goes. If the house is newer the phone lines home run to a central location and are generally run with cat5e ethernet cable. If you take the plate off and there is a 8 wire cable it is a good chance you can convert this to ethernet. If the wire is the old red,green,yellow,black cable maybe you have a chance. If it is daisy chained though a bunch of rooms it is less likely. You can first just try ethernet, maybe you can get it to run at 10m. If not they make devices may times called ethernet extenders. What these are are special dsl devices that run back to back on a single cable. They are similar to how dsl is run at a telco but only run a single connection. Because they are not common you will likely pay $500 for a pair.

renegadete

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

Dumb question, does 3 phase power mean the house has 3 separate circuits?

When I flip the circuit breaker on one phase or circuit (i'm not too sure :/), it kills all power to the devices on that network.

Has nothing to do with the number of circuit breakers. It has to do with now many current carrying conductors there are. Most houses have single phase with 3 wires coming to the house. The 3 wires is not 3 phase though.

Now it depends where you live. If you are say in the UK where they use 220 volt systems all the electric breakers are hooked to the same buss bars in the circuit panel. So powerline adapters could go in one circuit breaker cross over the buss bars to the other and go to the other end device. In the US and other areas that use 110volt you in effect have 2 buss bars in the panel. If you are lucky and both breakers are on the same buss it will just cross. If they are on different ones it must go all the way to the transformer on the street to cross.

Obviously the simpler the path the better chance you have to get it to work. It works best on the same exact breaker but few people have that option.

renegadete

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

Well i'm in Australia. I know an electrician, so i'll see what he can tell me. Thanks mate!