extending a partition in my E & F

hope someone can help, on my computer I have one of my drives partioned as
F,E,H and well Im trying to expand or extend my volume F into my empty E and
I have alot of info that I do not want to loose, window help says it can be
done with out loosing the info but but every time I try it say it cant did'nt
know if anyone had any ideas thanks for any help

Hello,

I strongly recommend a third party software program to help you with this.
It will make it A LOT easier.
Partition a drive

http://www.bootitng.com/

http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

Michael Ortega

"wolfy600" <wolfy600@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hope someone can help, on my computer I have one of my drives partioned
> as
> F,E,H and well Im trying to expand or extend my volume F into my empty E
> and
> I have alot of info that I do not want to loose, window help says it can
> be
> done with out loosing the info but but every time I try it say it cant
> did'nt
> know if anyone had any ideas thanks for any help

You need third party software to repartition a drive without data loss. The
most common application for doing this is Partition Magic from Symantec
(ensure it is up-to-date with the latest patches before you use it). With PM
you simply delete your E partition then resize the F partition. It is very
easy to do with PM. However you must backup important data first as
repartitioning can fail rendering the data difficult to retrieve without
special recovery software.

There are a number of other repartitioning tools that one can use other than
Partition Magic. Acronis Disk Director is a very good option as well
http://www.acronis.com/products/diskdirector/ BootIt NG is not as easy to
use but is generally less expensive and is generally more stable.

You can not resize your F into E from Windows alone without data loss on
both partitions so don't try it.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"wolfy600" <wolfy600@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| hope someone can help, on my computer I have one of my drives partioned
as
| F,E,H and well Im trying to expand or extend my volume F into my empty E
and
| I have alot of info that I do not want to loose, window help says it can
be
| done with out loosing the info but but every time I try it say it cant
did'nt
| know if anyone had any ideas thanks for any help

Dear wolfy600,
Do you want to merge your empty partition E into F? If so, what's the file
system FAT or NTFS of partition drive E? Do you use one of partition manager
softwares like Partition Magic? How many partitions do your drive have?

Best regards,

"wolfy600" wrote:

> hope someone can help, on my computer I have one of my drives partioned as
> F,E,H and well Im trying to expand or extend my volume F into my empty E and
> I have alot of info that I do not want to loose, window help says it can be
> done with out loosing the info but but every time I try it say it cant did'nt
> know if anyone had any ideas thanks for any help

thank you for your input and it is partition e,f,g it seems as if everyone is
telling me that i have to use a partitioning tool but i guess that i have
to. I read that in windows that i could do this but i have tried several
times and it hasn't worked and it is formatted in a NTFS as it is supposed
tobe any more info would really help thanks for your time

In news:554C816D-B6FE-4D15-88F6-B143295A60D9@microsoft.com,
wolfy600 <wolfy600@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> thank you for your input and it is partition e,f,g it seems as
> if
> everyone is telling me that i have to use a partitioning tool
> but i
> guess that i have to. I read that in windows that i could do
> this

Sorry, but you either read an incorrect statement, or you
misinterpreted what it said. No version of Windows has ever had
the ability to change the partition structure of a drive
nondestructively. A third-party tool is required to do this.

> but i have tried several times and it hasn't worked and it is
> formatted in a NTFS as it is supposed tobe

Your making it NTFS is fine--no argument from me--but it's *not*
true that that's what "it is supposed to be." It's entirely
optional.

Please reply to the newsgroup