extending amplified cellular signal

ammcrandall

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
Hopefully I can make this understandable - I am far from a techie on any of this.
I work from home and need decent wifi. I also live in an area where hi speed internet is not readily available and so I use a jetpack and cell phone hotspot from verizon. This area does not have good cellular service either so I installed a SureCall antenna and signal amplifier, which works rather well. I can usually perform any required work plus use my tablet, with cellular data, for any streaming activities. I do have an unlimited data plan and things work pretty well. The issue I am having is that I have added a home office in a different area of the home and my signal in this part of the home is degraded from what it is nearest the SureCall indoor antenna. Since everything I do is based on a cell signal I am trying to extend that signal to this other part of the house.
First thing I tried was to split the signal, right at the outdoor antenna, and then ran a separate cable to my office, with its own signal amplifier (giving me two within the same house). This didn't seem to work at all. The split signal appears to be a bit weaker and only the original amp and indoor antenna seem to be actually working. It is a smaller home and it seems that I may be getting some interference with this setup. What I would like to know is: can I just go back to my original setup and use some type of extender or repeater to boost the signal that I am receiving in the main part of the house with the original SureCall amp and indoor antenna?
Though the home is small there are a few walls between the original indoor antenna and my new office so I am just looking for the best way to extend the signal.
Does this make any sense?
Any and all help is appreciated.

Solution

vmfantom

Notable
Nov 28, 2017

First, you might want to check if AT&T's $60 10 Mbps 160 GB fixed wireless service is available, or maybe Rise Broadband, or maybe Viasat's new unlimited plan. Verizon sounds like the short end of the stick for both price and reception.

Second, you likely have done this already, but ideally you'd use a splitter covering Big Red's frequencies at 850-2100 MHz, and not a typical TV splitter that might cover 5-1002 MHz. You don't want a resistive power divider that goes all the way down to DC (0 MHz) because that would have significant insertion loss. Maybe something between 700-2300 MHz like Wilson sells. And you'd ideally use LMR-400 cabling if that diameter isn't too big for your purposes, to keep the attenuation down to 6.2 dB per 100 feet. It might be worth double-checking that both amps cover the same frequency range if you haven't already.

Each amplifier adds noise along with gain, so two amplifiers could be reducing the SNR below the receive sensitivity of your hotspot.

Can you provide details for the cabling type, cabling length, and amp models used?

Solution