[SOLVED] Extending my displays with only 1 DVI/HDMI Port

Mar 4, 2021
Hello. I have a bit of a problem, and i was hoping someone could help me out..

I was asked, as a school assignment, to setup 2 PC Monitors, and make it so i could extend the display.
However, the PC only has one DVI Port, and a HDMI Port, while the Displays have VGA,DVI and DP.

I thought I could use a DVI Splitter, but that only extents the displays.

What is a good, cheap option for me to set this up?

Solution
So should work?
Yes, that will work.... That'll be option 1 below.

Option 1: From the computer, you need an HDMI cable > female HDMI-to-male DP adapter > DP monitor.

Option 2: From the computer, you need an male HDMI-to-female DP adapter > DP cable > DP monitor

No, that will not work. That's a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, it won't work for HDMI to DisplayPort connections.

Just use a DVI-HDMI adapter, it will be simpler.

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020

Option 1: From the computer, you need an HDMI cable > female HDMI-to-male DP adapter > DP monitor.

Option 2: From the computer, you need an male HDMI-to-female DP adapter > DP cable > DP monitor

So should work?

No, that will not work. That's a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, it won't work for HDMI to DisplayPort connections.

Just use a DVI-HDMI adapter, it will be simpler.

Solution