[SOLVED] Extending Network Range

toymonkeyjr

Commendable
Apr 2, 2020
Excuse my lack of knowledge, I am new to the networking world and this is my first time on this forum in general, I have come to you guys for help because I know all of you have more knowledge then I do regarding the issue and hopefully you guys will be able to share some information to help my problem or send me in the right direction.

So to give this situation some context I will describe the physical location and the problem at hand. I am trying to provide girlfriends small house with internet, mainly a router she can hook her computer up to through an internet cable or at the least wifi she can wireless connect to with a router. Obviously she can't pay for internet service because she works minimum wage because we're young and not properly educated (or did work until she got laid off because of this whole global pandemic).

Basically she lives in a small manufactured home on the same property owned by her aunt, her aunts house is about 100 feet to the side of her house since her aunt technically owns both properties but she pays rent to her aunt.

I want to figure out a way if it is possible to extend the range of her aunts internet because her aunt is fine with her using her internet, I was wondering if you would do this by using a second router connecting to the first in the main house as a range extender. Or if there was a better way to do that I would want to know, also does this vary on the capabilities of certain routers/modems? I have a router I would give to her if this is possible I just want her to be able to have internet without paying a huge bill. The router I have available for use is an TP-LINK ac1750 (not sure if this helps at all but I'm trying to provide as much information as possible).

Please if you guys have any solutions or any equipment I could buy to do this at home that would be great, please let me know, I will make sure to comment and ask further questions on responses
-jacob

Solution
Yes that is the exact method of installing a wireless bridge system like nanostations. You should have almost no issues at that short distance they are designed to go much farther. You want them as high as you can reasonably go. A truck parked in front will completely block the signals.

kanewolf

Titan
Excuse my lack of knowledge, I am new to the networking world and this is my first time on this forum in general, I have come to you guys for help because I know all of you have more knowledge then I do regarding the issue and hopefully you guys will be able to share some information to help my problem or send me in the right direction.

So to give this situation some context I will describe the physical location and the problem at hand. I am trying to provide girlfriends small house with internet, mainly a router she can hook her computer up to through an internet cable or at the least wifi she can wireless connect to with a router. Obviously she can't pay for internet service because she works minimum wage because we're young and not properly educated (or did work until she got laid off because of this whole global pandemic).

Basically she lives in a small manufactured home on the same property owned by her aunt, her aunts house is about 100 feet to the side of her house since her aunt technically owns both properties but she pays rent to her aunt.

I want to figure out a way if it is possible to extend the range of her aunts internet because her aunt is fine with her using her internet, I was wondering if you would do this by using a second router connecting to the first in the main house as a range extender. Or if there was a better way to do that I would want to know, also does this vary on the capabilities of certain routers/modems? I have a router I would give to her if this is possible I just want her to be able to have internet without paying a huge bill. The router I have available for use is an TP-LINK ac1750 (not sure if this helps at all but I'm trying to provide as much information as possible).

Please if you guys have any solutions or any equipment I could buy to do this at home that would be great, please let me know, I will make sure to comment and ask further questions on responses
-jacob
100ft -- best way would be to run an ethernet cable. Next best way would be a pair of wireless bridges like the Ubiquiti LocoM5s ($100 per pair). Either way would provide a single ethernet cable that can be used just like "the internet".

Reactions: toymonkeyjr

toymonkeyjr

Commendable
Apr 2, 2020
100ft -- best way would be to run an ethernet cable. Next best way would be a pair of wireless bridges like the Ubiquiti LocoM5s ($100 per pair). Either way would provide a single ethernet cable that can be used just like "the internet".
Let's say it's a little over 100 feet because I wasn't thinking rationally while writing this which would be the more cost effective way

Ethernet cable can go 100 meters so just over 300ft.

There are too many details like what rooms in the house you want to connect and if you have clear line of sight and what is between the 2 locations.

It tends to be simpler and cheaper but much more work to run a ethernet cable. 200ft of direct bury cable is about $75. It only has to be buried a inch or so but if you have a driveway in between etc it can get hard.

If this is only temporary you could buy normal ethenet cable and run it over the top of the ground knowing that the cable will only last a couple months exposed.

Wireless solution work well when you can't run cables but you need nothing blocking the signal between the locations and you must mount and align device that are best placed on the roofs.

toymonkeyjr

Commendable
Apr 2, 2020
Ethernet cable can go 100 meters so just over 300ft.

There are too many details like what rooms in the house you want to connect and if you have clear line of sight and what is between the 2 locations.

It tends to be simpler and cheaper but much more work to run a ethernet cable. 200ft of direct bury cable is about $75. It only has to be buried a inch or so but if you have a driveway in between etc it can get hard.

If this is only temporary you could buy normal ethenet cable and run it over the top of the ground knowing that the cable will only last a couple months exposed.

Wireless solution work well when you can't run cables but you need nothing blocking the signal between the locations and you must mount and align device that are best placed on the roofs.
The back porch of the main house and the front of the manufactured home have nothing blocking it, I can't dig in the ground because it is mainly cement and gravel and I can't run an on ground cable because her aunt won't agree with that set-up and says that it would get in the way. maybe possibly hooking up the main router to a nano station and wirelessly connecting it to the paired nanostation mounted on the front of the other house that's corded inside to a router that is being used as an access point/switch??? (I just want both ethernet and wifi capabilities)

Yes that is the exact method of installing a wireless bridge system like nanostations. You should have almost no issues at that short distance they are designed to go much farther. You want them as high as you can reasonably go. A truck parked in front will completely block the signals.

Reactions: toymonkeyjr
Solution