[SOLVED] Extending WiFi range With second WiFi router and LAN cable. Help !!!!!!!!

Skyh3ck

Commendable
Dec 22, 2019
Hello

I want to extend my WiFi signal range with installing second Router and using a Ethernet cable.

I have two houses about 20 meter apart, one house has TP Link wifi router installed, on the second house i get wifi signal to medium to low strength and some time no signal at all.

So i want to install another router to my second house and use an ethernet cable to connect the second router with main router, so that in second house i can use internet without any hassle.

I am thinking to buy a good quality dual band 5 Ghz wifi router and connect it with ethernet cable and use in my second house.

Request you all expert to help me on this, what kind of cable should i get and what is the best router i can get.

I am thinking to get at least 25 meter cable so that i do not fall short of cable.

Both house has 2 mobile, 1 Smart TV, one Laptop and 1 Desktop each, so both house will use same internet but with separate router.

Please help me here.

Thanks

Solution
If you can run ethernet cable that is the best option.

Never use any form of repeater or extender unless you have no other option. You only choose that option when your choice is a poor quality signal from repeaters or no signal at all. Repeaters will cut your speed by at least 1/2 and many times more. You have 2 radio signals subject to interference now rather than 1.

So between the building you need some way to protect the cable. It needs to stay dry and out of the sun. What you generally use is direct bury outdoor ethernet cable. It only has to be buried a inch or so. Mostly to prevent it being cut something but you can string it between poles if you want. Make sure you get pure copper cable do not buy CCA...

Lutfij

Titan
Instead of installing another router, why not just tether an Access Point(AP) to the Ethernet cable you're going to run from the first router? If you're running the cable outside the house(which means it's exposed to the elements) you will need a durable outdoor grade Ethernet cable.

Cere

Great
Jun 6, 2020
What you need is a HUB or a range expander, not a router. If you want more WiFi range, then get an expander. If you want hard line access get a hub. You could even combine the two. Get an expander that has a port and plug a hub to it.

Skyh3ck

Commendable
Dec 22, 2019
the thing is that i want LAN as well as wireless connection. the second house does not get proper signal and many times it break without any reason.

that is why i am thinking to get another router and connect it with ethernet cable, is it possible.

and what is Access point,
can i connect to wifi with hub or expander

Cere

Great
Jun 6, 2020
what is wifi repeater, booster and extender

is it same as wifi router
WiiFi repeater and booster are basically the same thing. Their little boxes you plug in to wall, set them up to receive the WiFi signal from your Wireless Router and then they just repeat/boost the signal out. There's also what is known as mesh systems out there you could look into. Google has one that works pretty good. It does the same as a repeater and a router. It's composed of smaller devices that will make one giant WiFi network throughout a massive area. There is a link below to better explain how they work and what they do.

https://store.google.com/us/product/nest_wifi

Repeater/Expander
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wifi+repeater&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

If you can run ethernet cable that is the best option.

Never use any form of repeater or extender unless you have no other option. You only choose that option when your choice is a poor quality signal from repeaters or no signal at all. Repeaters will cut your speed by at least 1/2 and many times more. You have 2 radio signals subject to interference now rather than 1.

So between the building you need some way to protect the cable. It needs to stay dry and out of the sun. What you generally use is direct bury outdoor ethernet cable. It only has to be buried a inch or so. Mostly to prevent it being cut something but you can string it between poles if you want. Make sure you get pure copper cable do not buy CCA and be sure it is rated for outdoor use.

Unless you are skilled at putting rj45 plugs on the end I would use keystone jacks on both end. These are easier to install, you just match the wire pattern and many are tool less. You would then use short commerical ethernet cable to connect from the jacks to the equipment. You also get a much nicer looking install.

On the remote end you want what is called a AP. You can use a router if you want but you want to run it as a AP. Many have this option but you can run any router as a AP.

Solution