[SOLVED] Extending wifi with access point POE only

Dec 2, 2020
Hi,

I would like to extend my wifi coverage in my house by using an access point. I already have CAT 5 cabling running to a number of rooms, but would like to use one of these cables to fit an access point POE. I really would also need to run an additional cat 5 cable from the access point to nearby computer as well. I don't seem to be able to find anything that will work as the other thing I need to do is ensure that my existing Network name and password can also be used here. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Solution
I have not seen any AP that you can not change the SSID and password.....unless you mean something else by network name. Most ubiquiti stuff actually allows many more options than comsumer grade gear. I think you can actually put mulitple ssid and even vlans on ubiquiti AP.

The key feature you want is 802.3at/af. This is the name that is used for the industry standard form of PoE. This is the form almost all switches support. Since you already have a PoE switch it makes it even more important. The other forms of PoE are what is called passive and are proprietary to the vedors in many cases. You would need to use power injectors with those.

Most ubiquiti stuff is 802.3at/af but they also have passive stuff...

RealBeast

Titan
Hi,

I would like to extend my wifi coverage in my house by using an access point. I already have CAT 5 cabling running to a number of rooms, but would like to use one of these cables to fit an access point POE. I really would also need to run an additional cat 5 cable from the access point to nearby computer as well. I don't seem to be able to find anything that will work as the other thing I need to do is ensure that my existing Network name and password can also be used here. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
I think that you should define exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Do you need to use POE -- no nearby power and you have selected PoE APs? Do you need ceiling mount for example?

A typical AP may not have the ability to make a cable connection unless you insure that it has that available. Also PoE APs will likely be more expensive than other alternatives as you will also need either a local power injector or a switch that has PoE for at least some ports.

Perhaps if you do have local power near the desired location you can use an inexpensive wireless router (like an AC TP-Link for example) configured as an AP, which will have 3 LAN ports left after you use one to connect it to the CAT5 from your router (an LAN port).

Whatever approach you take, you should have no problem using the same network and passkey.

Dec 2, 2020
I think that you should define exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Do you need to use POE -- no nearby power and you have selected PoE APs? Do you need ceiling mount for example?

A typical AP may not have the ability to make a cable connection unless you insure that it has that available. Also PoE APs will likely be more expensive than other alternatives as you will also need either a local power injector or a switch that has PoE for at least some ports.

Perhaps if you do have local power near the desired location you can use an inexpensive wireless router (like an AC TP-Link for example) configured as an AP, which will have 3 LAN ports left after you use one to connect it to the CAT5 from your router (an LAN port).

Whatever approach you take, you should have no problem using the same network and passkey.
Hi, I wanted to use POE as I already had a the cat 5 cable running to a switch with POE and I wanted to mount these on the ceiling so no nearby access to power.

RealBeast

Titan
Hi, I wanted to use POE as I already had a the cat 5 cable running to a switch with POE and I wanted to mount these on the ceiling so no nearby access to power.
That makes more sense if you already have the PoE switch and want ceiling mount.

What specific issues do you have or anticipate?

Have you already purchased the APs or do you have a specific model chosen? Any of them will allow you to use the same network as your router and same passkey.

Dec 2, 2020
Hi, I had started to look at Ubi's but the customer support mentioned I couldn't change the network name so have held off. I have also looked into the tp link AC1750 and TP Link deco m5, would any of these work with the network name changing.

I have not seen any AP that you can not change the SSID and password.....unless you mean something else by network name. Most ubiquiti stuff actually allows many more options than comsumer grade gear. I think you can actually put mulitple ssid and even vlans on ubiquiti AP.

The key feature you want is 802.3at/af. This is the name that is used for the industry standard form of PoE. This is the form almost all switches support. Since you already have a PoE switch it makes it even more important. The other forms of PoE are what is called passive and are proprietary to the vedors in many cases. You would need to use power injectors with those.

Most ubiquiti stuff is 802.3at/af but they also have passive stuff. Just read the descriptions.

Solution