[SOLVED] Extending wireless network

Jun 19, 2020
I have a PoE driven access point located in the building. Now I need to extend the coverage of the network. Instead of running another PoE cable all the way from the switch I assume it is possible to extend the data network by utilising the existing AP (DWL-3200AP) and providing only power to a new AP from a location nearby...?

Can I use the WDS/AP mode for this by hooking together the existing AP with the new one? Or is it better to use an wifi extender?

Solution
I have a PoE driven access point located in the building. Now I need to extend the coverage of the network. Instead of running another PoE cable all the way from the switch I assume it is possible to extend the data network by utilising the existing AP (DWL-3200AP) and providing only power to a new AP from a location nearby...?

Can I use the WDS/AP mode for this by hooking together the existing AP with the new one? Or is it better to use an wifi extender?
That existing access point has only a single ethernet port, so you can't daisy chain. What I would do, is put a POE switch near AP#1. Feed AP#1 and run ethernet from that switch to feed AP#2. Feed your current uplink to the switch, and drop the POE on that link.

kanewolf

Titan

That existing access point has only a single ethernet port, so you can't daisy chain. What I would do, is put a POE switch near AP#1. Feed AP#1 and run ethernet from that switch to feed AP#2. Feed your current uplink to the switch, and drop the POE on that link.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS