Question Extensive image-tearing with two different webcams ?

May 4, 2021
Hello,

I've been having some weird issues that have persisted across a couple different webcams. Between a Logitech c920 and a Jelly Comb W15, both have had the same problem where whatever they capture experiences a ton of tearing. I have tried both the default Windows 10 camera app and OBS and the issue has been the same. I've tried multiple USB ports - 2.0, 3.0, and ports on both the front of the computer case and the motherboard I/O - to no difference. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, running Windows Update, and updating graphics drivers. It's a bit difficult to even look up solutions, since talking about "tearing" usually brings up results for issues in games, unless I'm just using the wrong terminology. Would really appreciate some help if possible.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K (overclocked)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600)
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
HDD: Toshiba P300 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB AMP (overclocked)
Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG248Q 24.0" 1920x1080 180 Hz Monitor

Pictures:
View: https://imgur.com/a/iODK5E9

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which version of the OS are you on at the time of writing? You should ideally be on version 20H2.

What BIOS version are you currently on?

You forgot to include the make and model of your PSU and it's age.

Speaking of overclocked, how are you cooling the CPU and what are your ambient room temps?

You might want to rule out faulty webcams in your possession by taking them to a donor system/laptop and testing them out there with app's meant for each webcam installed on donor system. Speaking of drivers/apps, what version of the app's did you use for each webcam?

Reactions: helper800
May 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which version of the OS are you on at the time of writing? You should ideally be on version 20H2.

What BIOS version are you currently on?

You forgot to include the make and model of your PSU and it's age.

Speaking of overclocked, how are you cooling the CPU and what are your ambient room temps?

You might want to rule out faulty webcams in your possession by taking them to a donor system/laptop and testing them out there with app's meant for each webcam installed on donor system. Speaking of drivers/apps, what version of the app's did you use for each webcam?

Hi, thanks for getting back to me!

Looks like I incorrectly reported my own OS, it's Windows 10 Pro, not Home. Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042.

BIOS version is 3802. I don't know what my previous BIOS version was, but this issue has persisted through a BIOS update.

PSU: SeaSonic G 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

I built my PC in December 2016. Since then only the RAM and SSD have been replaced. Would have done more but budget has become tighter.

For cooling, I use a Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler.

While I don't have any average temps recorded, here's what I'm seeing right now on NZXT CAM:
View: https://imgur.com/xbYHLzn

I did try the webcam on a laptop, also running Windows 10. No issue.

Windows 10 Camera app version on both desktop and laptop is 2021.105.10.0.

OBS I only tried on desktop, version 26.1.1.

All software used has been 64-bit, in case that wasn't a given.

I'm noticing that a lot of solutions involve the "Imaging devices" section in Device Manager, but none is coming up for me. Trying to solve that as well but no success as of yet.