[SOLVED] Exterior 2.5 ssd needs power supply

I have a Kingston 2.5" 240GB ssd that I used previously to upgrade a laptop. I removed the ssd and about a month later I plugged the ssd into my laptop (not the one it was previously installed) and using a 2.5" sata enclosure. Using Windows 7 disk manager a window popped up saying the disk needed to be initialized. When I clicked okay, I received and error the disk was not ready. I checked the Device Manager which showed the enclosure was operating correctly. Nonetheless, I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver but there was no change. I then plugged it into my Windows 10 PC with the same results. It should be noted this ssd previously worked with the enclosure. Finally I used a sata adapter that has a power supply and ssd showed up in the disk manager with the previous OS installation. I deleted the partitions and reformatted the drive, but once again, if I tried to use the enclosure I get a disk not initialized window, but clicking to initialize the ssd gets an error message. I have not tried to installing the ssd to see if it will work as an internal drive. Do you think the ssd is failing or corrupted?

Solution
I was just wondering if the symptoms might be a prelude to the ssd failing.
while it is connected and working, try running disk checks for errors. it could give some insight into the possibility of actual drive failure.
but i would imagine you would be having the same problems no matter how the disk was connected if it was a problem with the disk itself.

since other disks seem to work fine, it could even be something on the lines of the ports on this particular SSD are loose and/or crooked and are having problems attaching correctly to the interior of the external enclosure.
what is the exact error message produced when trying to initialize?

It should be noted this ssd previously worked with the enclosure.
the enclosure would provide it's own power to the drive. obviously it was getting the power needed through the enclosure if it previously worked.
I used a sata adapter that has a power supply and ssd showed up in the disk manager with the previous OS installation...Do you think the ssd is failing or corrupted?
if you experienced no issues with the drive when using a different adapter, i would say no.

like TheNightTerror stated, it may be the enclosure. you will need to test if the enclosure is functioning correctly. try a different disk and see what response you get.

what is the exact error message produced when trying to initialize?

the enclosure would provide it's own power to the drive. obviously it was getting the power needed through the enclosure if it previously worked.
if you experienced no issues with the drive when using a different adapter, i would say no.

like TheNightTerror stated, it may be the enclosure. you will need to test if the enclosure is functioning correctly. try a different disk and see what response you get.
I tested the enclosure with another sata drive and it worked; I also tried the ssd in another enclosure with the same issue. The error says "Disk not ready". Also, while a 2.5" drive usually needs only the power from the USB, 3.5" sata needs additional power, so I'm wondering if there is some issue with the ssd that it is not getting enough power from the USB.

...It should be noted this ssd previously worked with the enclosure...
if this was an issue with power, then the drive+enclosure would not have previously worked together. it also would not have worked with the second drive you tried.

if is a full external "enclosure" with SATA connection it also has a power connector. it should be easy to see where the drive attaches to the enclosure what ports are connecting. they should be fixed to the interior of the enclosure.
if it is an external SATA-to-USB cable, then it will also have a power connection. usually a flat bar with both SATA & power.
v6i4gMq.png

red circle: data / yellow circle: power
__

just try installing the disk internally into the system and see if you have read/write access. maybe reformatting again and making sure it completes correctly will allow it to work with these external devices.

Last edited:
What you are showing is very similar to the adapter I am using (external power and USB) that works with the ssd in question. OTOH, 2.5" hdd/ssd usually run fine in an enclosure that is attached run only by the power in USB. This ssd did work previously with the same enclosure prior to to being the OS drive in a laptop for a couple of weeks. When I removed the ssd and put it in the enclosure to re-partition and format, is when I discovered it was not working. Using the adapter I did re-partition and format the ssd, but it still doesn't work in the enclosure. It will likely work as an internal drive, I was just wondering if the symptoms might be a prelude to the ssd failing.

I was just wondering if the symptoms might be a prelude to the ssd failing.
while it is connected and working, try running disk checks for errors. it could give some insight into the possibility of actual drive failure.
but i would imagine you would be having the same problems no matter how the disk was connected if it was a problem with the disk itself.

since other disks seem to work fine, it could even be something on the lines of the ports on this particular SSD are loose and/or crooked and are having problems attaching correctly to the interior of the external enclosure.

Solution